• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restored cars...a question

I prefer hub caps to cover my nuts. Its illegal to expose your nuts in all states. Other countries like Australia not so much as they are all nuts there.

About 1980 I had a 71 440 4 speed Challenger with mag wheels. I was driving it one night powershifting to my hearts content when I heard a tinkle on the road. I pulled over and had 2 lug nuts missing on the left rear and the other 3 had loosened off. I tightened down the 3, stole 2 more and went at it again. Again they loosened off. (71's were all rights).
That was enough for me to tell me that the lefties were a good idea. Not really needed with factory wheels but still that proved to me that the engineering was sound.
Old Chrysler parts man gave me the best tip, Break them towards the rear of the car, tighten them towards the front.

Converted to RH during my resto. On occasion I take it to a shop for alignment, new rubber. And some stuff I don't do anymore like heady work underneath, not having a lift being a geezer now, new mufflers, and a trunion boot went to chit last year.
Have to remind the shop do NOT remove the paint on the Magnum's with the impact! Message too late once..

LH lugs are part of the deal. I leave them alone, they don't hurt a thing.

Have felt the same way and left them left for 20 years on my current ride before resto; but now taking it in for some things I don’t tackle anymore, don’t want to have a shop trying to remove a wheel not realizing LH or my forgetting to mention it. Granted, only two shops I’ve used, and one is a guy that lets me work with him, so I’m right there. But, for however long I’ve got left changing them over to RH seemed a simple thing with some peace of mind. Had a lot of fun explaining to the alignment shop not to align to the factory specs, having the specs in hand on what I wanted…but the book says…yeah I know…but THIS is what needs doing. Well, ok…if you say so. Lol

My GTX had a disc brake conversion done prior to my ownership so the LF was already converted. The LR was still left hand...Just converted it to RH to put Cragars on...:eek:

1707165352362.png

The charger got converted to right when I add 70s style disc brakes. The power wagon still has left and I have no plans to change those.

Lefties on the left front, Righties on the other 3 corners. That's the way it is... I had to buy 2 sets of lug nuts to get enough righties. I have alot of spares now.

Dave6T4 ^^^^ ---- That's a " BIG RED X " on that answer .......

I spared you " a BIG RED X " , but you deserve one......

My '69 Charger (original owner, yippee!) is in restoration now. It has and will have the original left-hand nuts.
A short true story: Back in the '30s my father was a kid. His family was driving a Dodge at night to visit my grandfather's brother. Grandpa was incapacitated for some medical reason in the back seat. The car had a blowout. My grandmother (she was pretty handy) was trying to remove the wheel, but couldn't remove the first nut. My dad was helping her, but nothing would make that nut move. When it got daylight, they tried again. My grandma saw the "L" on the nut or stud and immediately knew what the problem was.....

LH threads on my 68, even with the direct drill Cragars. I had a slight problem finding LH Chrome nuts with a shank - but found some at Carlisle!

LH on my '69 GTX, but the car has been kept original in every area, including factory Bendix disc brakes. Guy who owns the shop I use has worked on my last six GTXs, and knows the LH thread situation well.

Left on mine and each one has an L on it with a sharpie

I know of unfortunate situations (my cousin's '69 Barracuda getting tires at Sears in early 90's) in which they jack up the LH wheel studs.
I bring the rims into the tire shop, get tires mounted and balanced, then take them home and mount them on my RR. I wouldn't let anyone work on anything on the '68 aside from paint/bodywork.

Converted to Disc brakes in the front and RH studs all 4 corners now.

Auto Transport Service
Back