• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restored Dad's Old Vise

themechanic

Oklahoma is OK
Local time
6:29 AM
Reaction score
I got this Swordfish 4" vise when Dad passed. He bought it about 40 years ago in Oklahoma. It weighs about 40 pounds and looks pretty good for its age. I was going to buy a new vise until I saw bad reviews for those I could afford ($50 and under). Since I didn't need a $150 vise I decided to just restore this one. All it really needed was rust removal, clean and lube.

I was surprised it was made in China. I didn't know the Chinese were selling us their junk 40 years ago. Some things never change, I guess. Anyway, it was a fun little project and a nice reminder of my Dad.

On a side note, I visited an older gentleman based on a Craig's List add for used bench vises he was selling. He told me he had been collecting tools for 35 years. He had them all cleaned and proudly displayed in a 2 car garage out back that looked like a museum inside. He said he preserved the bare metal with Briwax clear. The tools were not sticky or oily and didn't leave fingerprints when you touched them. One hand plane he had was dated in the 1850s. It was cool holding a Civil War era tool some guy used to build a house or school or maybe some furniture that still exists today. I looked at a nice bench vise he was selling. I forget the name of the manufacturer; it may have been Lee, but it was stamped 1903. He wanted $75; darn, more than I could afford. Anyway, it was worth the trip just to see that tool collection.

Here's Dad's Swordfish vise all cleaned and ready to go back together as soon as my Gibbs Brand Lubricant arrives in the post.

Swordfish 4 inch Vise.JPG
Swordfish 4 inch Vise-001.JPG
Swordfish 4 inch Vise-002.JPG

Last edited:
That vise is 40 years old? Looks like it's still in pretty good condition. Swordfish must have specially labeled it for USA sales, until about 30 years ago they still used 'People's Republic of China' on their tags. Notice the spelling of 'vice' on this Australian version.
s-l500.jpg

that looks really clean ! I just broke down and bought a wilton 1755 tradesmen vise. was not cheap but should outlast me !

There are certain items that cost the same no matter if they are brand new in the box, 50 years old and mint, or 20 years old and beat up-

Bench vice
any heavy duty fan over 24"
Shelving
and a few more

I have a 1970's "Columbian" 5", two 70's-80's Craftsman 4" and a Wilton 4".
No dual swivels like the OP, though.

I beat the crap out of my Dad's vice on a regular basis, never gave it much thought....... now I have to give it a closer look. For all I know, it may be my Grandfather's vise....... and I see it spelled both ways? another thing I've never thought of before

I put the vise back together and mounted it on my rolling toolbox today. I learned from the garage journal thread that factories used bondo on the castings before painting to make them appear to be of a higher quality. There is a bif chip in the front of the vise to prove it.

I bought some soft jaws for the fragile stuff. One pair of plastic and the other aluminum. They're magnetic, like RC's personality. lol

IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back