• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restoring 67 Satellite Instrument Cluster

Archie Duiker

Local time
1:42 AM
Reaction score
I am restoring the instrument cluster in my 1967 Satellite. Does anyone know how to remove the lens so I can polish or replace it? It looks like there are plastic rivets that are melted at the top to hold it in place.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Mine is a little different but I did this recently on a 67 Coronet cluster. Used a dremel tool with a little grinding tip to carefully grind down the plastic rivets then separate the lens from the bezel. I was thinking the clear lenses would just fall out but they were bonded to a plastic frame. Anyways, it gave me more room to polish the lenses. Wet sanded them with 2000 grit, then 2500, then 3000. After that i used Meguairs PlastX clear plastic polish and polished them with a soft rag. The lenses came out nice and clear. Gives you a chance to paint the bezel at the same time.

Mine is a little different but I did this recently on a 67 Coronet cluster. Used a dremel tool with a little grinding tip to carefully grind down the plastic rivets then separate the lens from the bezel. I was thinking the clear lenses would just fall out but they were bonded to a plastic frame. Anyways, it gave me more room to polish the lenses. Wet sanded them with 2000 grit, then 2500, then 3000. After that i used Meguairs PlastX clear plastic polish and polished them with a soft rag. The lenses came out nice and clear. Gives you a chance to paint the bezel at the same time.
Thanks, that worked for me. I have removed the lens....now to polish it. Did you use a sanding block for wet sanding, or just your fingers?

image.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back