• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restoring gauge cluster 1967 GTX (how to remove lens from cluster?) Plastic weld pins

GTX BROS

Local time
3:09 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone ever removed the lens from the cluster? It will be much easier to paint cluster and to polish the lens with it out.
Black plastic pins on back side are melted over to hold lens. Any advice?
Thanks, David

Tedious process. I have used a sharp tipped soldering iron, or plastic welder to heat the attaching points while putting light pressure on the lens. Once all points are loose additional heat may be needed to some of the points to get the lens out. To reinstall the lens, reverse the process, or glue in place.

Tedious process. I have used a sharp tipped soldering iron, or plastic welder to heat the attaching points while putting light pressure on the lens. Once all points are loose additional heat may be needed to some of the points to get the lens out. To reinstall the lens, reverse the process, or glue in place.
Thanks, I made a small tool from a utility knife blade about 1/4" wide and put a 45 bend in it.
Held it with needle nose vise grip and heated the tool with a propane torch to red hot.
Then carefully shaved of the melted black plastic. It wasn't very easy and you have to be careful not to damage the lens.

Auto Transport Service
Back