• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restoring Two '67 GTX's

gmcgone*gtx

Local time
2:40 PM
Reaction score
[FONT=&amp] My husband and I have recently come into the possession of two 1967 Plymouth GTX’s. We’ve taken on the responsibility of caring for and restoring them rather than letting them decay and rust away from neglect. We love cars. We believe that these two old muscle cars should have a chance at survival. [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp] Since retrieving them from a thousand miles away we have put a lot of our time (along with hard work & $) into learning about “Mopars”. We’ve always been Chevy people but, don’t hold that against us. We don’t mind coming over to play on the Dodge/ Chrysler Plymouth team (if you’ll have us [/FONT]J[FONT=&amp]) simply for the love of cool old cars. That’s what it’s about after all. We hope that some of you are willing to put up with our newbie questions and our re-education. We grew up in the 60’s and 70’s so we haven’t accustomed to being schooled in a long time. Kinda thought we were past it but, here we go.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp] This is a long story but, I will try to tell a condensed version.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp] One of these cars originally was mine. The silver automatic. I bought it when I was seventeen from the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] owner. I had it for 2-3 yrs and sold it to my younger brother when I got married, had a child, needed money, blah, blah, blah.. He had wanted it from day one and never let up on me, always trying to get me to sell it to him. I finally did and he hung on to it from that day on. About six years ago when the economy tanked he was still living in Georgia and I had moved away via Montana-New Mexico- and settled in Texas. Our economy stayed pretty strong and he couldn’t get work there so we asked him to come to Texas. He came out, got a good job but, he still had his cabin, all his possessions & cars in Georgia. He was here for around 3 yrs and lived about 20 minutes from me. He was happy and he seemed to love it here,. Suddenly one day I got that call that we all dread that rips your heart out. He was at work in his job as a construction materials driver and radioed his supervisor telling him that he didn’t think he should drive back to the shop yet because he was feeling kind of dizzy. They tried checking on him a few minutes later and couldn’t raise him on the radio again. The EMT’s tried their best but, couldn’t get a pulse. He never regained consciousness. Man that was a tough one for me. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]I told my siblings that they could do whatever they needed to about his place and his things. I had already taken care of the ceremony. I couldn’t handle it.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Three years past and they hadn’t ever been to his place in Georgia. I knew when he died that he still had the GTX I had once owned and probably his regular herd of cars (usually 6-8 at a time). My older sister didn’t care the least bit for old cars. (Like my Mom had been about my Dad’s old cars) Both of our parents were gone and none of the family lived there anymore, my sister and older brother were here in TX. Nothing had been done with his things in Georgia after 3yrs and I figured the cars were either stripped clean or gone.(a lot of thieves in the area)[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp] My son was going to GA to visit his kids so we asked him to go over and check on the place. He came back and said everything was still there. My husband and I decided to go and get my brothers things and whatever cars were salvageable and bring them to Texas. If we didn’t no one else could or would do it.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp] We took our 16ft enclosed trailer and headed out. We wanted to get his personal belongings and see what we might be up against if any cars were salvageable. The place was badly overgrown; the roof was caving in and had caused some really bad leaks. There was a nasty mold growing on everything in his cabin and it had sickening sweet smell that permeated everything in there. The cars were barely visible behind his house, covered in leaves, vines and brush. There was a surprise though. A second GTX, a four speed with a Dana. I have no idea when or where he got it but,from the looks of it, it had been there for a long time. The wheels were sunk into the ground and it was basically resting on it’s floor in the dirt. We were totally overwhelmed once reality struck and we realized that it was going to be a huge job to retrieve his things much less any of his cars. He had covered them when he left. After six plus years the car covers had disintegrated and the cars’ wheels were buried a foot or more in the dirt. We weren’t anywhere near having the equipment, tools, and planning to get them back to Texas. We loaded what we could into our trailer from inside his house. We hauled butt back home and that was our first 2000 mile round trip. We bought a car trailer about 50 miles from home and mounted a winch. We did four (almost back to back) trips total. We were pretty worn out by that last trip and have been working on the cars ever since. Just getting them cleaned up has made a huge improvement in my opinion. We’ve started both of them but, they have a ways to go before being road worthy.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp] When we got home it was the first week in September. We did the last round in November and were usually there in a motel for 4-5 days. We had decided that it was more than likely they wouldn’t make it through another winter. The buildings were coming down already and next spring would be too late. The only reason they were still there intact was his friends and neighbors had been keeping the thieves at bay. Out of their fondness for my brother. For six years…[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]That’s the kind of guy my brother was, everyone liked him.[/FONT]They told us that they recently had chased off a roll off wrecker along with stories of other times. A couple of the local cops had known him too and they kept an eye on his place also. Needless to say we got the locals stirred up when we arrived with a trailer and Texas plates. We had several visitors come by (more like roaring up) to check us out. I had brought documents of course but, it’s a good thing my brother and I look a lot alike.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp] When we got home we scrubbed, cleaned and disinfected everything that we brought back. I’m talking about his personal stuff, his tools, a couple of motorcycles that he had stored inside the house, and all of the original parts from the GTX cars that he had taken off and locked up inside the cabin. Seats, interior trim, exterior trim, carburetors, all of the badging, emblems, wheels, and he had even taken off the hood ornaments. I found them neatly wrapped in cloth tucked in one of his cabinet drawers.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp] Time has passed but, it was still really tough. While getting his things packed I had my tears but, some good chuckles too. He had a great (kind of oddball) sense of humor and he always made me laugh. I miss that goofy grin of his.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp] I said I was going to condense this story and I’ve already written three pages.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp] I’m not much at typing and I didn’t mean to write a book though it’s a story worth telling. I will have to fill you in on the cars and how the renos’ are coming a little later. [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp] We’re making good progress even counting for our inexperience with renovating. I finally found a local auto paint supplier and picked up the paint (PPG) for my car the other day. I’ve never seen paint that looked so gorgeous just lying there in the can. [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp] The weather hasn’t been cooperating at all (it’s usually warmer in Texas) but, our body guy/painter still has some work to do yet.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp] My car’s body was a little wrinkled but, (Thanks little brother) there were extra fenders from a Belvedere donor car my brother had there on the property. One fender for each GTX & each got the correct sides, too. My car has nice floor and trunk pans while the 4spd pans are really rusty from sitting in the dirt and having the carpet still in.(more leaks) But, the 4spd’s body is better than mine. Mine had dents all down the side. My brother was always a cautious and safe driver so; I don’t know what happened there.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp] We’re doing mine first and then my husband says he’s just going to do a basic black paint on the 4spd and just concentrate on speed. Ha Ha But, I know him and he’ll have to make it look bad A** too.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Meanwhile the pictures will have to tell the story until I’m ready for more (slooowwww) typing.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Thanks All[/FONT]
002 (13).jpg003 (12).jpg004 (12).jpg010 (13).jpg012 (3).jpg014 (15).jpg015 (12).jpg016 (3).jpg030 (8).jpg032 (2).jpg039 - Copy (3).jpg040 (5).jpg040 (5).jpg047 (3).jpg047 (3).jpg039 - Copy (3).jpg

Attachments

• 052 (3).jpg
    052 (3).jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 532
  • 053 (3).jpg
    053 (3).jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 536
  • 222.jpg
    222.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 506
  • 333.jpg
    333.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 512
  • 555.jpg
    555.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 514
  • 666.jpg
    666.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 506
  • 777.jpg
    777.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 492
  • 888.jpg
    888.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 503
  • 999.jpg
    999.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 520
  • 1111.jpg
    1111.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 499
  • 1212.jpg
    1212.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 504
  • 1414.jpg
    1414.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 540
  • 1515.jpg
    1515.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 539
  • 1616.jpg
    1616.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 515
  • 1717.jpg
    1717.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 521
  • 2001.jpg
    2001.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 531
  • 2002.jpg
    2002.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 520
  • 2003.jpg
    2003.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 531
  • 2004.jpg
    2004.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 518
  • 2006.jpg
    2006.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 524
  • 2007.jpg
    2007.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 507
  • 2008.jpg
    2008.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 504
  • 2009.jpg
    2009.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 521
  • 3001.jpg
    3001.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 524
  • 3002.jpg
    3002.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 524
  • 3003.jpg
    3003.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 511
Last edited:
In case you're wondering, the nice gentleman on that huge ole tractor is a neighbor that we hired to bring the 4spd car around the cabin and up the hill so we could put it on the trailer. All three cars that we brought back had brake drums that were rusted and seized up. We basically drug them up onto the trailer with one or more wheels that wouldn't roll. Thank God for heavy duty winches and trailers. We eventually got them all freed up & rolling again though...

Welcome to the site, there are a lot of very knowledgeable people around here willing to help out if you have any questions. Great story, and I can guarantee your brother has a big smile on his face :VB toast:.

Welcome aboard! The gang will be watching your posts and progress; that's for sure!

hi and welcome to the site nice story

Welcome aboard!
Thanks for joining the forum.

I'm sorry about the loss of your dear brother!
God Bless him....

Happily, you have his possessions now, saved from the ravages of time and in the "hands" of the loved ones he would want them to be.

-And it appears you have a "GREAT TEAMMATE"...Your Hubby!

Glad to see a "Gal" on the Forum!
You "GO" GTX Girl!
Thanks for sharing this truly heartfelt story with us.
A "GREAT READ"

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I really appreciate your kindness.

I want to go ahead and post the rest of the pictures that I have.
Then I'm getting away from this computer for the rest of the day!

We'll keep you updated on our progress.

Thanks again

Also, I'm sorry that I don't know how to delete the duplicate photos yet.
Or how to add captions to my photos. I'm still trying to pick up on the photo stuff.

But, I wanted to point out something in the photo of the tree and the shed that's trying to fall over.
Look closely.

That's not a rope that's holding the building up....

It's a Vine about 2" in diameter that has wrapped and wound itself through the rafters of the shed.

Which is the only reason it hasn't crashed down on the donor car and a hood that was in it....

We call it the D-Vine Intervention

Thanks again3004.jpg3006.jpg3009.jpg4001.jpg4002.jpg4004.jpg4005.jpg4006.jpg4007.jpgbikes 011.jpgIMG_0269.jpgIMG_0294.jpgIMG_0296.jpgiPhone pictures 009.jpgiPhone pictures 017.jpgiPhone pictures 021.jpgiPhone pictures 024.jpgiPhone pictures 031.jpgiPhone pictures 052.jpgiPhone pictures 061.jpgiPhone pictures 063.jpgiPhone pictures 069.jpgiPhone pictures 083.jpgiPhone pictures 094.jpgiPhone pictures 096.jpgiPhone pictures 128 (2).jpgiPhone pictures 142.jpgiPhone pictures 151.jpgiPhone pictures 216 (2).jpgiPhone pictures 237 (2).jpgiPhone pictures 365.jpgiPhone pictures 378.jpg

Great background story, sorry about your brother. Look forward to watching your progress - good luck and God Bless.

Sorry to hear about your brother. I'm from Douglasville and had stopped by his place on my way to Palmetto a few times thru the years to see if he was ready to sell but he always said not yet. He was a good guy and I'm glad you are restoring the cars.
I just knew from the first few lines about it being your car first then him getting a few years that it was the silver gtx I had driven by all those years.

Great story - thanks for sharing. You're my kind of person based on the "D-vine intervention" comment. Been smart aleck all my life and too late to change now (just turned 69 last month).

Echoing sentiments above, what a great tribute to your brother; for yourselves and other family members. The projects will remain a labor of love despite the blood, sweat, tears, and folding green stuff. And this is definitely the place for help with advice, parts, photos, and recommendations.

Best of luck in your endeavors.

Randy C.

Sorry about your brother, but thanks for sharing your story! No doubt a tremendous amount of commitment to do what you did - nice job!

Good luck with the restoration work. There are lots of knowledgeable people on this site that can help with parts, questions, etc.

Good luck with the restorations!

OK, another addition. I want to add the videos of both GTX's running when we started them for the first time.

http://youtu.be/E9am77qSA7s
http://youtu.be/GHIBZyzQ58o

- - - Updated - - -

I love that Ol triumph motorcycle...
WOW!
Nice Chevy truck too...

Unfortunately we decided that we had to "sacrifice" both the '53 pickup and the Triumph to help pay for some of the expenses we incurred during the four "rescue" trips. We sold them both. The '53 had a lot more rust than we originally thought it had. Once we got it home and looked at it closer it was more than we had the energy or time to go through with a restoration on. That was hard to swallow. My brother and I rode around in it quite a bit when it was in good shape many years ago. We had a lot of laughs and fun riding the back roads. The Triumph needed a lot of work also. We felt we had enough on our plate with restoring both GTX's. But, they both went to homes that plan to restore them and their buyers were happy to have them. We can't save them all but, feel that we did the next best thing, we found them good homes.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your brother. I'm from Douglasville and had stopped by his place on my way to Palmetto a few times thru the years to see if he was ready to sell but he always said not yet. He was a good guy and I'm glad you are restoring the cars.
I just knew from the first few lines about it being your car first then him getting a few years that it was the silver gtx I had driven by all those years.

I meant to say a while back how much I really appreciated your reply and how nice it was to hear that you had met Steve and recognized what a good guy he was.
Thank you so much!

Sorry for the long delay with my thanks, I intended to answer you back then but, got busy with the cars and I let it slip on by.....
Your words did my heart good and reassured me that his legacy isn't just in my mind, he was a memorable person to many other people also.

Thank you

Auto Transport Service
Back