• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reverse lamp indicator wiring- 1969 road runner

Air grabbler

Local time
1:27 AM
Reaction score
Hello,

When I got my 4 speed 69 road runner it was missing the reverse indicator lamp on the dash as well as the wire harness to the transmission.

I have a new reverse light harness and new reverse indicator lamp for the dash. The indicator lamp shipped with a single black wire with no connector on the end. After studying the wiring diagrams in the service manual I cannot locate any reference to the indicator lamp. Can anyone tell me where to connect the black wire?

I "think" it goes into slot "Z" in the bulkhead connector. I traced the wires in the FSM wiring diagram from the trans switch and at one point they jumper one wire into the "Z" slot on the engine side. But on the inside there's nothing showing from that slot. Also, there's no reverse light shown on the diagram. This leads me to believe it was just omitted and that slot "Z" is where it should plug into.

I think in 69 there were two styles of wiring depending on the build date.

It could as one does not have provision for the dash light.

I think '68 didn't have the separate light - I seem to think there was a "reverse" light on the gauge cluster. If so, that would have been wired through the main cluster harness. But then maybe someone thought "hey, this light is useless on an automatic" so for '69 it was deleted from the cluster and added separately. And they just forgot to draw it in on the wiring diagram.

The FSM clearly shows the switch on both "hemi" and "non-hemi" diagrams but nothing coming out of that slot on the interior side of the bulkhead connector. I'm pretty sure that "Z" slot is where it would wire in.

When I got my 4 speed 69 road runner it was missing the reverse indicator lamp on the dash as well as the wire harness to the transmission.

Is the hole punched on the lower part of the dash for that light ??

Is there a "reverse" light in the gauge cluster?

Pg 8-117, middle right SW to C/D and B2A-18BK lower middle to Z (4-spd trans (console (or Dash))

69runnerBU.jpg

Only reason I said there is two different harnesses is that it can be confusing if you have the wrong one as to where the wires go. The harness has to plug into the Z terminal on the engine side as well as the dash lamp plugging in on the dash side. The poster may have to find a terminal for the dash side to lock int the bulkhead.
Back-Up Lamp Harness Late 1968-69 B-Body Before 11-15-68 4 Speed, Back-up Lamp Harness Manual Transmission, 124-HU620 Reproduction, NOS and Used Mopar Muscle Car Parts
Back-Up Lamp Switch Wiring 1969-70 A-Body 4 Speed 1969-70 B-Body 4 Speed After 11-15-68, Back-up Lamp Harness Manual Transmission, 124-L38455 Reproduction, NOS and Used Mopar Muscle Car Parts

Only reason I said there is two different harnesses is that it can be confusing if you have the wrong one as to where the wires go. The harness has to plug into the Z terminal on the engine side as well as the dash lamp plugging in on the dash side. The poster may have to find a terminal for the dash side to lock int the bulkhead.
Back-Up Lamp Harness Late 1968-69 B-Body Before 11-15-68 4 Speed, Back-up Lamp Harness Manual Transmission, 124-HU620 Reproduction, NOS and Used Mopar Muscle Car Parts
Back-Up Lamp Switch Wiring 1969-70 A-Body 4 Speed 1969-70 B-Body 4 Speed After 11-15-68, Back-up Lamp Harness Manual Transmission, 124-L38455 Reproduction, NOS and Used Mopar Muscle Car Parts
That is what I was posting. Terminals "C" & "D" for power from the fuse box to the switch and Terminal "Z" for the dash lamp. Mine came thru the firewall to a connector that was below and connected to the starter relay IIRC, then down to the trans switch.

I have bought several of those dash lamps and don't remember having to add a connector to the wire. Definitely plugs into the backside of the "Z" hole of the bulkhead.

Pg 8-117, middle right SW to C/D and B2A-18BK lower middle to Z (4-spd trans (console (or Dash))
That's all fine and dandy BUT there is nothing in that "Z" socket on the interior side of the bulkhead in the wiring diagram

That's all fine and dandy BUT there is nothing in that "Z" socket on the interior side of the bulkhead in the wiring diagram
It shows it a couple pages later on one of the accessories diagrams.

The dash mounted reverse indicator appeared with the change over to the Hurst shifter. They added it because the Inland shifter had the reverse pull and the Hurst didn’t. I think in was early 1968 for the switch over, so all 69 4 speed cars should have the connection for the bullet.

On the engine side, power comes from the bulkhead connector "D" - to the trans switch and back to "C" where it is jumpered to "Z".

Under the dash "C" continues on to the reverse lights and "Z" would go to the dash light.

On the engine side, power comes from the bulkhead connector "D" - to the trans switch and back to "C" where it is jumpered to "Z".

Under the dash "C" continues on to the reverse lights and "Z" would go to the dash light.
That has already be said - numerous times.

Hi guys, I appreciate the info. I'm still here. I spent the last couple days re-assembling the car and finally fired it up tonight. Tomorrow morning I'm tackling the reverse harness/indicator lamp. I consulted the service manual and looked up under the dash. I see the Z slot is empty so I think I'm on the right track.

The reverse harness I bought had a plastic connector (two spades) and a single bare spade. I guess the connector is for a different application, so I removed the plastic connector and will plug all three spades into the wiper harness connector (as I recall) per the manual.

I'll report back tomorrow with an update.

Well I got 'er done today, thanks to all your help! I now have a reverse lamp vice a hole in the dash, and functioning reverse lights. Install was easy except I noticed that I'm not as flexible as I was thirty years ago. Crawling under the dash is a whole new ball game now, ha ha.

Thanks again for your help, it is truly appreciated!

2927FA49-BF65-484F-8B75-BC9301B6B7D4.jpeg

Is the hole punched on the lower part of the dash for that light ??

Is there a "reverse" light in the gauge cluster?
The reverse indicator light should be mounted on the bottom of the dash for a 1969 Roadrunner. See illustration below. The black wire will connect to Z on the Bulkhead Disconnect and I suspect the other end runs down to the transmission. If I recall, the backup switch on the A833 transmission has a black and violet wire coming from it And running to the Bulkhead. Can’t confirm though….. I sold my Roadrunner.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back