• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ride height 1971 RR

Local time
5:18 AM
Reaction score
This may be an unanswerable question due to many variables but would anyone have a ballpark measurement from the center of the rear wheel to the wheelwell lip on a 71 RR (from the factory)?

I have a 71 Satellite with an 8 3/4" rear end but the leaf springs are the stock original Satellite (90 lb spring rate based on my research) with a leaf added back in 1988'ish when the 8 3/4" rear went in. In short, old and modified and I'm sure sagged from when they were new.

I'm planning on picking up a set of new leafs and want to get a decent baseline of ride height comparable to a 340 RR since mine is now a 360 with the 8 3/4" rear. Seems like a lot of companies do offer different ride heights/spring rates so I'm trying to educate myself a bit before selecting the right (hopefully) springs. Going to be running the 17x9 Year One Rally wheel in the back.

If you could post in your reply any 71 (or 72) Satellite/RR/GTX pics and let me know what rear spring setup you have. I guess that would help me the most (a visual).

Thanks everyone!

I believe this pic was from about 1977. Don’t think I did anything to it on suspension, just changed to wheels off of roadrunner. Did put a cb in it. Sorry no measurements. The lower trim piece seems to line up with center of wheel.
1706727348289.png

Vance.Dykes...I checked out the FSM (chassis), section 17. I'm not seeing anything regarding measurements. Tons of other good info though.

Wahya..thanks for the pic. This is where I feel like my car needs to be. Mine car does seem a bit sagged in the rear compared to yours.

Thanks to you both for your inputs!

I was thinking about the Hotchkis springs but they say it lowers a car 1".....I would almost guess it would raise my car a bit since mine are sagged. I wouldn't be opposed to 1" lower from factory ride height. I was also considering the Springs n Things 113 lb spring rate 5 leaf or the HD 6 leaf 130 lb which from my understanding were stock offerings on the 71 RR.

Here are the leaf springs I have on my 71 Runner.
Drivers side.
Jan 31st (1).jpg

Passenger side.
Jan 31st (2).jpg

Here's the stance.
Jan 31st (3).jpg

And here is a measurement from the floor to the rear wheel well opening.
Jan 31st (4).jpg

Hopefully that will give you the info you need.

I was thinking about the Hotchkis springs but they say it lowers a car 1".....I would almost guess it would raise my car a bit since mine are sagged. I wouldn't be opposed to 1" lower from factory ride height. I was also considering the Springs n Things 113 lb spring rate 5 leaf or the HD 6 leaf 130 lb which from my understanding were stock offerings on the 71 RR.
The lowering is mostly because the spring perches that come with the springs have the front eye location moved upwards well over an inch. I have a set sitting here to go on my '71 Coronet.

Good luck getting a set though, Hotchkis is having apparent difficulties getting things made. Took me a couple months to get mine, and I've been waiting on front torsion bars since September.

Last edited:
The lowering is mostly because the spring perches that come with the springs have the front eye location moved upwards well over an inch. I have a set sitting here to go on my '71 Coronet.

Good luck getting a set though, Hotchkis is having apparent difficulties getting things made. Took me a couple months to get mine, and I've been waiting on front torsion bars since September.
Since September? Wow. If you get your leafs bolted on anytime soon let us know. Good luck on getting your torsion bars.

Since September? Wow. If you get your leafs bolted on anytime soon let us know. Good luck on getting your torsion bars.
Summit decided to cancel the order without telling me after I complained about the time it was taking. I ordered a set from Bergman... they're already on the way.

Auto Transport Service
Back