• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ride height

bcOH67

Local time
4:32 AM
Reaction score
I recently had my car on those four wheel dollies for each tire that enable you to push it around. Long story short, the extra 4” or so of lift made it much nicer to get in and out of…

Is there any way to lift the overall height of the car about that much and still have it look normal? If it’s not that easy or even possible (again while still looking relatively normal) then ‘you’re an idiot’ is a sufficient answer. Haha.

Thanks!

You could get it up there but 4" seems like a lot. Crank down the torsion bars and add taller tires on the front. New rear springs with and extra couple inches of arch and taller tires on the rear.

The front end alignment settings change a LOT when you lift or lower a car that much. Raising the car has a really bad effect on Caster especially. See the chart:

Align 2.jpg

Going from 1.17 degrees of positive caster at a ZERO point (static ride height) to 2 1/4" higher, you go to 3.3 degrees of NEGATIVE caster. This plays hell with steering feel.
Now, if you're just looking to raise the car to push around a shop on smooth floors, those dollies are great. To drive on the street, The rise in height makes for a poor handling car.
You could get a set of those multi-adjustable upper control arms to allow you to raise the car and still obtain some caster. You will be limited as to how big a tire you can fit in the stock wheel openings.

Oh got it. No I was thinking about permanently raising the height. I didn’t think how it would mess with the handling, that’s a good point. I’ll leave it alone haha. Appreciate it guys!

I agree with taller tires.Going from a 205/60 14 to a 225/7015 will give you a 1 1/2'' Every tire manufacture varies.
It doesn't sound like much but every bit helps. Many tire companies have charts/specs for aspect ratios.
My 63 has 75 series tires but I'm going for the early 60's look. 27'' tall front and 30'' rear.
I'm a wheel and tire junky and play with different looks all the time.

Auto Transport Service
Back