• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RMS AlterKtion & Caltracs

Not easy to find the sweet spot between bogging and crazy wheel spin.
My experience, which is novice compared to the guys who frequent the Racers Hangout, is with a manual transmission, in order to get a good launch, something has to slip, and tire spin is just not reliable enough. That was really driven home by the 89 Conquest TSi that I had. I went from almost perfect tire spin on many occasions to great traction with Nitto 555 drag radials. They were the only tires on the rear (never again, they are dangerous on wet roads, but Toyo Proxes TQ drag radials are awesome) Anyway, I went from launches like this with BF Goodrich T/A radials: (the chirp-"cshh" sound is my tires, not a blow off valve-I didn't have one)

to dead hooking which took me off boost.
I just couldn't get the right amount of clutch slip or tire spin after I put on the Nittos, but I needed the extra grip. I wish I knew about the Clutchtamer then, or, since it was a hydraulic clutch, the HitMaster would have been ideal!
With the Roadrunner, I either leave just off idle then floor it, or POOF! Tire spin like crazy!

Hi I'm new to this Forum but I already have a question.
I can't get any good 60feet times out of my car / Suspension.
It seems like I've no weight Transfer at all with the RMS kit, I've tried softer springs in the front, that seemed to help a Little bit but mot much...

My best 60feet so far is 1.85sec...

Here is my Setup:

1969 Road Runner 3500lbs
4speed face plated
Dana60 4.10gears MT28x10.5 slicks
RMS AlterKtion in front with QA1 SA (swaybar removed)
Caltracs, split monoleafs and calvert Shocks
493cui solid roller, single plane etc....

Anyone here who is running a similar Setup and could help me out?
I'm running the Alterkation with Caltracs with a 440 & automatic Trans, I've been working on my 60' & so far best is 1.40 but I've made changes & now its 1.45-1.50, you should most definitely have video of the car as it leaves the line check this one out, this is at 3000 RPM on the trans brake, personally I think 4000 is to high until you get your 60' under control.

Last edited:
What is your rear shock rebound set at?
Do you know how much separation your getting on the rear?
A video is vital to help you see what's going on.

Last year I was on cal tracs and things finally started coming around when the rear QA1 shocks rear set to full rebound 18 of 18, and the front QA1 shock rebound tightened up to 7 of 18. Slowing the front end from coming up helped keep the rear tires planted, 60 foots came down.

I'm launching at 4000rpm and tires are set to 13-15psi.
When I leave with a lower rpm the engine starts to bog so I might have to try anything between 3000 and 4000rpm.
Front QA1 Shocks are fully loose and rear Calvert shocks are set to 3 of 9.
Caltracs are set to 1 turn left and 1 1/4 turn right from touching

However once my engine is finished and back in the car I will order the Clutch Tamer.

I've bin in contact with dvw and I've send him some Videos how my car leaves.
He agreed that I Need more front end travel and I might have to look into DA Shocks.
On the Video he has seen that the car hits the rear tires Pretty hard, then the front tops out and the tires starts to spin.

Current plan for now is get the car back on the road, order Clutch Tamer and DA front Shocks and see how the car reacts.

Last edited:
I'm launching at 4000rpm and tires are set to 13-15psi.
When I leave with a lower rpm the engine starts to bog so I might have to try anything between 3000 and 4000rpm.
Front QA1 Shocks are fully loose and rear Calvert shocks are set to 3 of 9.
Caltracs are set to 1 turn left and 1 1/4 turn right from touching

However once my engine is finished and back in the car I will order the Clutch Tamer.

I've bin in contact with dvw and I've send him some Videos how my car leaves.
He agreed that I Need more front end travel and I might have to look into DA Shocks.
On the Video he has seen that the car hits the rear tires Pretty hard, then the front tops out and the tires starts to spin.

Current plan for now is get the car back on the road, order Clutch Tamer and DA front Shocks and see how the car reacts.[/QUOTE

---
Yep, I tried the shock settings that you are using. That was a frustrating time and I spent almost the entire season trying to figure it out. I have a short vid of one of my launches with that set up like you are running on, take a look.

Along with the terrible launches I lost a driveshaft, yoke, and crushed spring perches.

Doug and the guys here helped me along lots and to cut to the chase, what worked best for my car with cal trac set up was tightening the shocks up LOTS. Rears were full tight on rebound and lots of compression. R 18, C 14. Front shocks R 7, C 18.

I spent lots of time on the phone with calvert and the set up they were telling me is about what your set up is now. It didn't work. What made the most difference was getting rebound turned up on the front shocks, believe it or not.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back