• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Road Runner hood on a Coronet

xRickyBobbyx

Local time
3:29 AM
Reaction score
Hear me out.....

I have a 69 Coronet sedan. I like the hood of the 69 Road Runner. Does anyone know if it'll be a direct fit on the Coronet? It's a sedan so I'm not worried about the "purity" of the car. It's a sedan.

Hood2.jpg

I guess if you changed the fenders, bumper, grill and the whatnots. Sure it will

Years ago I bought a 69 Roadrunner because it had a perfect 68 Coronet front clip bolted to it... The original 69 Roadrunner clip was in the back yard & thrown in with the deal... The hood will bolt on but the body lines don't match the Roadrunner is pretty much a slight steady curve, the Coronet has a body line near the front.... Plus the Roadrunner nose is somewhat peaked while the Coronet has less of a peak..

In the mid 70's = I bought a 69 Coronet 500 with a 69 Roadrunner front clip
on it at the LA Dealer's Auction. We called it the "Roadnet" It was cheap and strange but
we sold it and made money!

As stated, the door and fender gap is a perfect match and everything basically "bolts on", but the other body lines are way different.
Even with a whole clip swap, the lines over the wheel opening on the Plymouth body would look odd with the Dodge rear quarters not having them.

Just curious- what's not to LOVE about the "simple" and "cheap" bolt on '69 Dodge N96 hood look?

That is my absolute favorite "mean" front end look.

hqdefault.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

As stated, the door and fender gap is a perfect match and everything basically "bolts on", but the other body lines are way different.
Even with a whole clip swap, the lines over the wheel opening on the Plymouth body would look odd with the Dodge rear quarters not having them.

Just curious- what's not to LOVE about the "simple" and "cheap" bolt on '69 Dodge N96 hood look?

That is my absolute favorite "mean" front end look.

View attachment 1437064

View attachment 1437063
I guess it's one of those "I want to be different than everyone else" things. Essentially the same reason I got a sedan instead of a coupe. However, the twin scoops moved up to my #2 choice behind this one (see below) since the Road runner hood won't work without major surgery. I think the twin scoops are too aggressive for the sedan and won't look right, or come off as "I couldn't get the coupe so I'm going to make my sedan look like a coupe"..LOL
hood3.jpg
hood4.jpg

I guess it's one of those "I want to be different than everyone else" things. Essentially the same reason I got a sedan instead of a coupe. However, the twin scoops moved up to my #2 choice behind this one (see below) since the Road runner hood won't work without major surgery. I think the twin scoops are too aggressive for the sedan and won't look right, or come off as "I couldn't get the coupe so I'm going to make my sedan look like a coupe"..LOLView attachment 1437216View attachment 1437217
Good luck finding one of these "Power Bulge" hoods. If you can find one and have it shipped you will pay more than the car is worth. They are hard to find. Then there is the trim pieces too.

Good luck finding one of these "Power Bulge" hoods. If you can find one and have it shipped you will pay more than the car is worth. They are hard to find. Then there is the trim pieces too.
Hood
Trim pieces
:rolleyes:
But to be honest, not sure I'll do the trim pieces. I'll likely either put something like "Hemi", "5.7" or "392" depending on which engine I put in it.

There you go! I wasn't aware that there was Fiberglass repops available. I knew the repop trim was available. Keep us posted. That is a much better option than the roadrunner hood. Throw in a 440 and put a tail stripe on it and you will have a "4 door" R/T.

There you go! I wasn't aware that there was Fiberglass repops available. I knew the repop trim was available. Keep us posted. That is a much better option than the roadrunner hood. Throw in a 440 and put a tail stripe on it and you will have a "4 door" R/T.
That DEFINTELY crossed my mind. But I didn't want to have the purist turning their noses up at me when I show up at the car meet.....lol. But if I mod it with a different engine, I can do my own thing and it won't be as bad...hahaha. I'm thinking of doing a tail stripe with the same name as on the hood. A stripe with 392 on the side is a dead giveaway to the madness underneath the hood.:lol:

That DEFINTELY crossed my mind. But I didn't want to have the purist turning their noses up at me when I show up at the car meet.....lol. But if I mod it with a different engine, I can do my own thing and it won't be as bad...hahaha. I'm thinking of doing a tail stripe with the same name as on the hood. A stripe with 392 on the side is a dead giveaway to the madness underneath the hood.:lol:
Go for it! The purists (I am one) will appreciate for what it is. A car that you are having fun with and making the way that you want it. Just like alot of the "clones" out there, nobody thinks they have the value of the real R/Ts, but we all like to have fun! Drive the wheels off of it!

Auto Transport Service
Back