• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Road Runner vin tag missing the "R" character? - Rare?

wcbrwn

Local time
11:48 AM
Reaction score
I have a 1970 Roadrunner. I've had it about 10 years now, sitting on the back burner. I'm starting to tear into it now and before I spend money on it i want to get the paper work correct. I live in Georgia, so it is common for cars of this age to be sold with only a bill of sale, which I do have. I dont have a title or fender tag, but the hidden numbers on the core support and trunk lip match the sequence of the vin. It is missing the first letter of the Vin number on the dash Vin plate, so it starts with an M instead of an R. so M21N0G******. Has anyone else seen this or is this a common thing?

Nope. Post a picture of your dash VIN plate.

Original engine and/or transmission? - check the numbers there.

Have you looked for a broadcast sheet? Any idea why the fender tag isn't there?

I believe the 4 speed is original. But the 383 is long gone. I tore the car apart hoping to find a broadcast sheet but haven’t found anything. All I know is that it is was originally B5. Or that’s the best I can tell.

809EE936-C181-437D-8E0B-0361A20DFF28.jpeg

The outside fenders and hood were replaced at some point with a set that was originally green. So I’m assuming it was in a front end collision at some point in time. Fender tag probably was lost then too.

Interesting. What does Georgia require to get a title? I assume an affidavit and law enforcement inspection.

I’m not sure they will issue me a new title. I know to register the car and put it on the road it will require a law enforcement inspection. Which is easy to have done.

I presume it is, indeed, a post car? I'd check the passenger's side of the trans for a VIN stamp. Would be like the body stamps for '70 - partial... "0G257356" in your case.

I’m not sure they will issue me a new title. I know to register the car and put it on the road it will require a law enforcement inspection. Which is easy to have done.
VIN tags can be made. Just saying.

I presume it is, indeed, a post car? I'd check the passenger's side of the trans for a VIN stamp. Would be like the body stamps for '70 - partial... "0G257356" in your case.
It is a post car. I’ll look at the trans

I believe the 4 speed is original. But the 383 is long gone. I tore the car apart hoping to find a broadcast sheet but haven’t found anything. All I know is that it is was originally B5. Or that’s the best I can tell.

View attachment 1407873

Very Interesting. Sorry I can't help.
I'll be following along. Good Luck.

Hey, I'd seen a few strange things on our Mopars. Not this particular one, though. But, hey you probably have a one-of-one !! It is what it is, obviously from the last 12 digits..... an OAD UNNER.

Last edited:
My Dad had a 66 Charger that had 5 in the VIN where a 6 should have been for the year. Obviously, there were no 65 Chargers. The title matched it as well.

Factory mistakes happened. Kind of a tough one though, looks like you don`t need a title just a bill of sale but if you also need a vehicle inspection there could be an issue. Maybe the DMV can do a title search on it and find something? I would contact the DMV and ask some questions - they are the ones you need to deal with not FBBO.
"Provide Bill of Sale if the vehicle is 1985 or older and does not require a title"
Register and Title a Newly Purchased Vehicle

Why would there be an issue? If the bill if sale matches the vin, no issue. Cars built before the 80s don't have federally mandated VIN number sequences. This thing could have 1 on the vin tag and be registered as long as the factory tag says that.
I'd leave it be and move on.
The title would not say RM if the VIN tag says M only. That's matched up at the dealer and verified. I'm sure there was some communication at the dealer level regarding this mistake back in 69 or 70. Once it hits the transport, the factory isn't going to make any changes to the vin. Jmho.

OP: What's the door sticker say? If there is a discrepency there, that would be interesting.

Auto Transport Service
Back