• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roadkill, this isnt new

Paul_G

Local time
12:21 AM
Reaction score
Funny how some people have made a career doing what I/we have been doing for the last 40 years just to get to work every day. Not just us, brand F and C guys too. Were all gear heads who drove junk because that's all most of us could afford. You know what's really interesting about this subject? The same cars we call collectible, classic, muscle, are the same cars we called beaters 40 years ago. Drove them till there was no the life left in them. Pushed them to the side and forgotten about just waiting to go to the crusher. I look at what I am doing today working on these cars and realize they are still the same cars, I am much older, but the cars are still the same. Same problems they had years ago. Just in some cases today they have fresh shiny new paint.

So these Road Kill TV guys, are making there a fortune doing what we all have been doing all along. Dragging a dead old beater from it's grave and putting life back in to it. Cheapest way possible just like 40 years ago. Exterior and interior did not matter as long as it would get me to work and back. I have been doing this since those guys were in grade school, and before some of them were even born. And there making money doing it. I feel cheated, lol.

boohoo-waaaa.gif

You don't suppose they are successful at this theme because it resonates with a boatload of average joe car nuts do you?

I've probably driven maybe 8 or more cars with blown brake lines somewhere front or back.
Just to get home so I could fix them.
No front brakes and only rear brakes are the worst very tough to stop without locking them up.

I bought my 83 Gran Fury for $600 it needed a front line.
It only had 83,000 and looked really nice had new Michelins on the front.
The guy couldn't believe it when I put a line on it in his driveway and drove it away.
Had if for about 6 years and put over 50,000 miles on it without ever changing the oil.
(It leaked)
Junked it for $375 and never even replaced a tire on it.
I had driven it thousands of miles for work and collected the IRS rate / mile.

I don't care if they didn't start it
they pretty much perfected it, on several shows now
now even their buddies, have spin off shows,
because of the interest

even a decerning car guy, **** retentive traits
that wants everything spotless & perfect probably still watches

I used to always pick up a beater, drive it all winter, and sell it to a young kid in the summer. They all needed work, we just made them dependable. The best I ever did was drag a 5 yr old Cutlass Ciera home with a bad engine & trans. I got paid $200 from the old guy to get rid of it.
$12 starter from the junkyard and 3 quarts of ATF and I drove it for probably 10 years to work. I then sold it for $1200.
We were roadkill before it was something.

That's all my younger brother and I did growing up. We lived on a large farm and got rather bored. Someone was always giving away an old junker. We actually worked our way up to something real nice just by flipping old junk.

We also were into "field cars" with some of the junk we would find. Talking about "this isn't new", we were one of the original Dukes of Hazzard boys. Jumping them, rolling them over, running them into trees, running them into each other. It was fun seeing the show when it first came out. We just looked at each other and said "we've done that!"

I live it. I just don't have a t.v. show.... My Roached Runner is slapped together with all left over quality used parts from projects over the years. Looks like hell, but can out run just about anything that pulls up next to it.

20210530_123505.jpg

20210530_123448.jpg

20230830_200838.jpg

20230830_200814.jpg

Yes, I cover it when not driving it so that the neighbors do not have to look at it.
Envy is a horrible trait in a neighbor. Best to keep it covered, out of sight out of mind.

Lots of people fix up old cars, most do not make videos with good production and post them. Personally I watch videos that have good information more than ones that are entertaining.

Funny how some people have made a career doing what I/we have been doing for the last 40 years just to get to work every day. Not just us, brand F and C guys too. Were all gear heads who drove junk because that's all most of us could afford. You know what's really interesting about this subject? The same cars we call collectible, classic, muscle, are the same cars we called beaters 40 years ago. Drove them till there was no the life left in them. Pushed them to the side and forgotten about just waiting to go to the crusher. I look at what I am doing today working on these cars and realize they are still the same cars, I am much older, but the cars are still the same. Same problems they had years ago. Just in some cases today they have fresh shiny new paint.

So these Road Kill TV guys, are making there a fortune doing what we all have been doing all along. Dragging a dead old beater from it's grave and putting life back in to it. Cheapest way possible just like 40 years ago. Exterior and interior did not matter as long as it would get me to work and back. I have been doing this since those guys were in grade school, and before some of them were even born. And there making money doing it. I feel cheated, lol.
Well, at least you've grasped why the series is so popular....

They're making money at it because all us old farts religiously watch the show, reminisce about the old days, wish we were them, and then go and buy the advertised hair tonic, testosterone pills, hearing aids, etc.

I wish I had thought of it!

Auto Transport Service
Back