• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Robo telemarketer calls

if you have a smart phone there are apps that will identify callers as spam/scam calls so you can decline them without picking them up, or even have the app block calls from known scam numbers. It's not a perfect solution but it does help. I have an Apple phone and use the free version of HiYa. It's not bad and it's certainly better than nothing.

I've noticed that a lot of calls come in with my area code and prefix, so the first 6 digits of the number are the same as mine, which makes it appear as a local caller.

NOMOROBO https://www.nomorobo.com/ cuts down on about 50% of the calls. Free for land lines.
If you have AT&T, here are a few more options. https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/u-verse-voice/KM1000459?gsi=dhSWomM

Some of these callers have figured out how to put a name to the caller I.D.. If I don't know the name, I don't answer. Those seem to be a version of "unavailable". He calls 3 or 4 times a day. If you pick up, there is just silence and then a disconnect. Same thing if you let it go to an answering machine. They do seem to be getting more numerous.

Federal No-Call lists has a method of reporting them, but you have to enter the number that they called you from, which they have found a way to randomize, so it doesn't do much good. I just ignore incoming calls I don't recognize and watch for messages, as others have stated.

If I'm in a ornery mood I will pick them up just to **** with the person on the other end.
My favorite trick is to start talking dirty to them, male or female, until they hang up on me.
Stuff like, What are you wearing? I'm naked. Your voice is very sexy making me excited., etc.

There getting worse and worse lately. My wife does not sleep well and often will rest during the day. She does not like to shut the phone ringer off. These calls are insane and i will have to investigate how to stop some of them.
What i see happening now is on the caller ID, sometimes it say "spam" but other times its what seems to be legit names. So i pick up and its not that person or company but a telemarketer! Those tricky SOB's they have it all figured out. I have to find out how they do that and is that legal

Do not pick up...#1
Yup, we need Legislation to STOP this madness....

most newer style phones have a block feature
learn how to use your phones features
don't be technologically challenged, it's up to you

pretty simple
they can't get threw
sooner or later they go/move on
to another schmuck

report the #'s to the National 'do not call registry'

problem is these ********
(L)osers all change their #'s so often

yes we need laws to stop it too
including all the damn junk mail & spam e-mails too
that pray on the elderly especially

I screen all calls anyway, I have caller ID too
I don't answer anything/anyone, I don't recognize
same **** with E-mails, goes directly to trash

Last edited:
We already have legislation to stop these calls. It's call the "Do Not Call" list, but it has no teeth and I don't think it is even monitored, and the telemarketers have figured that out.

Most of the calls are recordings and when there not I'm not into playing games with these live telemarketers. It not a matter of not answering them, its a new tactic by them putting legit names in the caller ID, to make you pick up the phone.
Thanks for the input

I repeat.. If we had a system where, if we agreed to something so we could get the asshole's actual address or account number, or some way to actually get to the asshole behind these calls, we could THEN have them arrested and prosecuted. I wish that would happen.

I wish they would change the law to include political, and survey calls, as being illegal. They are actually worse then the telemarketers.

We Have a blocker but it blocks the answering machine half the time .. I miss the old phones when you could slam down the phone on the base.. think I'll get a loud whistle

We already have legislation to stop these calls. It's call the "Do Not Call" list, but it has no teeth and I don't think it is even monitored, and the telemarketers have figured that out.

I signed up on the "Do not call" list and it worked a little. However, the government allowed some exemptions such a anyone you may have done business with previously. It includes anytime you fill out information online or anytime you drop one of those entries in a box for a free trip to God knows where because you volunteered that information. Those people make big bucks selling your information to telemarketing companies. But the biggest exemption is for political parties, whether it's to get your vote or ask for money and the government will never give up that gravy train.

I understand all that, and mine worked at first as well, but the telemarketers finally figured out that the law has no teeth and now simply ignore it. I get calls (when they answer) from people I have NEVER dealt with.

I usually don't answer unknown numbers, now they spoof the number they are calling from to make it look as if a known number is calling you. I had a call from my own number twice.
My favorite thing to do is answer with a whisper and say " It's done but, there's blood everywhere" then hang up.

I usually don't answer unknown numbers, now they spoof the number they are calling from to make it look as if a known number is calling you.

Wait 'til you get one of those that shows up on Caller ID from the actual IRS number.

I’ve got “Robokiller” on my cellphone, it works pretty good. The land line has an answering machine which we use to screen calls.

I really don’t know why anyone would be stupid enough to trust an unknown telemarketer that would alias the phone number they’re calling from - talk about a red flag for a scam!

There getting worse and worse lately. My wife does not sleep well and often will rest during the day. She does not like to shut the phone ringer off. These calls are insane and i will have to investigate how to stop some of them.
What i see happening now is on the caller ID, sometimes it say "spam" but other times its what seems to be legit names. So i pick up and its not that person or company but a telemarketer! Those tricky SOB's they have it all figured out. I have to find out how they do that and is that legal

Have you found who's calling? If they are coming from legit businesses, I think you can try to sue them. I have read at https://www.whycall.me/news/my-4500-payday-from-a-telemarketer/ about this. It's illegal for them to call you multiple times without your written consent.

this bull **** is getting out of control ,something has to happen to put a control on these off shore bouncing calls :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mob::mob::lol:

Auto Transport Service
Back