• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rod bearing 440

Cafar

Local time
3:39 AM
Reaction score
Hi, in a short, restoring 318 Charger 66 and go to swap 440 76. Actualy 440 engine teardown and block is geting bored and honed. I want to order rod bearing but i have no clue whether undersized or over. There is no maltese cross neither other sign. On stock bearing i see AT 10 does it mean something? Please give a clue.

Your machine shop should be able to tell you, hell he most likely has the bearings in stock.

Agree, have the machine shop check / resize the rods and measure the crank rod journals.
Once he has the measurements, have him order the bearings.
You may need to polish the journals as well.

Quite often, bearings that come in a “kit” with the crank and rods (think stroker kits) end up finding a home on a shelf, as they aren’t the correct size once everything is stacked up.

Agree with above. See if you can determine an "engine kit" that has the correct pistons, gaskets, rings, bearings, etc. for your engine. Have your machinist/engine builder tell you what size of everything you need - pistons, piston rings, rod bearings & main bearings (all oversize - bearings zero/.010"/.020"/.030" & pistons/piston rings .030"/.040"/.060")

I let the machine shop order everything to reassemble the engine. I specify brands. If something is wrong when reassembling it's on them. Just check your tolerances good as you reassemble.

If crank is undersized it will be on outside of counter weight, If no one ever rebuild engine and cut the crank. This crank has .001 under number 5 main and 5678 rod bearings and block had a maltese cross.

acrank.JPG

Thanks for quick reply and hints. The story is i want do assembly by myself, so far the set is as follows 452 heads with kb 236 0.040, cam xe274, edelbrok rpm, carb i dont now yet.all bearing, gasket new. You right best way is to ask machinist for measurement. But anyhow i will check check crank.

Auto Transport Service
Back