• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RPMs run high then Stalls

Ms.Sully

Local time
5:32 AM
Reaction score
Good Morning, afternoon, evening...
I have a 71 RR with an automatic 383. I bought the car in Feb and she has just been sitting in my driveway because have been working on tuning her up (new choke, plugs, wires, starter). The most recent issue that I could use some suggestions on is that when I start her up the RPMs race up to 3500 and then stalls out, never leaving park. This happens regardless of whether or not the choke is open, closed or somewhere in the middle.

I gladly accept any recommendations on what to check or do, but please know I am learning most of this on my own through videos and the occasional helping hand from family (when they are available) and local automotive shops. If there are videos of what I need to do or check feel free to send them along. Thank you!

Make sure the throttle plates are closed all the way.
In order of possible causes:
- 1 Throttle cable stuck or misadjusted? (take it off the side of the carb and see if the shaft returns closed all the way and compare)
- 2 Severe vacuum leak Power brake hose vacuum line or booster?
- 3 Incorrect or stuck fast idle cam on the side? (But 3,500 is really high not good at all) this cam shoud follow the choke position

I battled this exact problem a couple months ago....vacuum leak! My leak was between a carb spacer and the intake. Sealed it up and the problem completely went away. here is a link to my thread on the issue.

Problem/symptoms/solution found!

Auto Transport Service
Back