• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RR Headlight Grimlins

GFuller

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:49 AM
Reaction score
So, here is the latest gremlin that has risen its ugly head recently. And before I get into this please be considerate with response of “grounding is your problem” as I have searched though many threads so far and that comes up a lot. I did check my strap from engine to firewall and looks good….. OK, so out of the clear blue I have noticed that my front headlights (Both) are on continuously when battery is connected…. This is new it seems. I have pulled my switches and checked as well as all lines up to front lights and see no bad section that might be bare. If I switch my headlight switch on both headlights and tail lights are on like expected. But turn switch off and tail lights go off but head lights stay on. Have made no modifications that should have caused this problem. I am seeking some advice. Is there a headlight relay on firewall of a 69 RR. This car does not have modifications. Thanks

So, here is the latest gremlin that has risen its ugly head recently. And before I get into this please be considerate with response of “grounding is your problem” as I have searched though many threads so far and that comes up a lot. I did check my strap from engine to firewall and looks good….. OK, so out of the clear blue I have noticed that my front headlights (Both) are on continuously when battery is connected…. This is new it seems. I have pulled my switches and checked as well as all lines up to front lights and see no bad section that might be bare. If I switch my headlight switch on both headlights and tail lights are on like expected. But turn switch off and tail lights go off but head lights stay on. Have made no modifications that should have caused this problem. I am seeking some advice. Is there a headlight relay on firewall of a 69 RR. This car does not have modifications. Thanks
No relay. You either have a bad switch or wires melted together.

Here's the easiest fix if it's corrosion inside of the switch.

I didn't have your problem but got tired of the lights getting dim and pulsing at low engine speeds, like at idle. I put a relay kit in it. Fixed my issue and it takes the load off the switch. Sure sounds like your switch is going south though. The Deoxit trick may work, good stuff I use on Vintage Stereo gear. Do the Amp meter bypass also. I think it is mandatory on all vintage Mopars. The Mopar you save may be your own, not to mention your garage and house.

Unplug the switch. If they go off, its a bad switch. If they stay on you have a a short to power.
Doug

My bet is they go off when the switch is unplugged.

I unplugged my dash switch and they are still on. I think it has to be a short to power but unable to locate it.

disconnect the bulkhead connector with your headlight runs and probe each side with a test light.

Might let you know which side the issue resides.

Lights stay on full beam, it's not a ground hunt. If they are dimly lit, sounds like something electrical may be hunting.

I unplugged my dash switch and they are still on. I think it has to be a short to power but unable to locate it.
Now unplug the dimmer switch. If the lights go out the problem is between the dimmer and the switch. If they stay on its between the dimmer and the headlights.

One last thought. Is the radio stock or aftermarket? If aftermarket unplug it. I have seen some very stupid installs and you never know where something is back feeding. That is true with anything aftermarket. Unplug it to eliminate any back feeds.

When you say on is it low beam or high beams? If high beams you could have a feedback through the high beam indicator circuit.

My similar experiences say look up under the dash for any signs of melting in the harness to bulkhead
As pnora mentioned

Thanks for feedback. I have not chased the bulkhead connector yet but did unplug from dash switch and made no difference. Both high and low beam on. As it was easy to do also unplugged the dimmer switch and also made no difference. So with dash switch unplugged from harness and also dimmer harness unplugged headlights still on. We all know how hard it is to observe anything easy under the dash but will chase that next.

After a series of futile attempts to identify anything looking under dash, the instrument cluster was pulled and after investigation, the wiring harness was pulled and noticed that the high beam wire had some exposed wire. Once that was repaired and put it back together problem seems to have been corrected. Thanks for all the help.

Auto Transport Service
Back