• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rubber floor grommet

Local time
5:11 AM
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what this opening is for in the floor? As you can see, it is not waterproof. Should I replace that with a rubber grommet?

IMG_3049.jpeg

Might help to know what car this is for, what year etc.
If it is something original you want to keep you could always sand blast it and then paint and use RTV when you put it back.

That's what they used before rubber was invented !!

What's underneath it ? Is it an access cover for adjustment ?

If that's in a low spot, putting a
grommet there may cause it to
retain waster. I think I'd just clean
it up and paint it.

What's underneath it ? Is it an access cover for adjustment ?
That’s where a person in the back seat’s feet would be. There’s nothing below it other than road. My concern was that water from the road would make its way in there.

You still haven't said what car it's in, so I'll assume it's in your '72 Satellite. If it's in the rear seat foot well, as you say, I would guess there should be a body plug in that hole. It looks to me like someone pulled the body plug and put that cover over the hole, I don't recall anything like that from the factory.

Just a theory; back in the day some people used to do slight modifications to their cars so that in case they were being followed by the police they could dump any illegal items so that they wouldn't get caught with them. Maybe this is one of those.

Auto Transport Service
Back