• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Running tapered bearings with rear disc brakes

fueliedart

Local time
12:15 AM
Reaction score
I would like to install rear disc brakes on my 8 3/4 but refuse to use green bearings because I want to drive this thing a lot. Anybody out there done the rear brake conversion while retaining the factory tapered bearings? What was the procedure you used to make it all work?

Dr diff has a couple of kits that work with tapered bearings. There are other kits out there as well. You would need to set the axle endplay at the minimum.

I still can’t understand why green or tapered bearings would make a lick of difference in a disk brake setup. I mean the calipers should be floating to some degree. And I’d bet that a brand new green bearing has same or more lateral movement than a set of tapered bearings. I guess I maybe dense, I don’t know?

I still can’t understand why green or tapered bearings would make a lick of difference in a disk brake setup. I mean the calipers should be floating to some degree. And I’d bet that a brand new green bearing has same or more lateral movement than a set of tapered bearings. I guess I maybe dense, I don’t know?
I agree with the fact that calipers should float and that setting the end play towards the lower tolerance would probably work just fine. I already have some Wilwood rear brakes and of course they recommend Green Bearings which I have heard do not have the reliability factor of tapered bearings. I appreciate the thoughts and am going to set my rearend up to run the tapered brgs. I have also heard that supposedly the newer Greens are improved with a deeper groove for the balls to ride in for better lateral loads but I am still not sure about long term reliability. Anyone with any testimonials about that?

I did the green bearings when I did the rear disc setup, and found the only reason to use the green bearings is so the axle stick out is consistent on each side.
The factory taper bearings could be used. Just have to set the end play, and then shim the caliper brackets correctly for the amount of axle stick out from the housing.

I agree with the fact that calipers should float and that setting the end play towards the lower tolerance would probably work just fine. I already have some Wilwood rear brakes and of course they recommend Green Bearings which I have heard do not have the reliability factor of tapered bearings. I appreciate the thoughts and am going to set my rearend up to run the tapered brgs. I have also heard that supposedly the newer Greens are improved with a deeper groove for the balls to ride in for better lateral loads but I am still not sure about long term reliability. Anyone with any testimonials about that?
Are you sure your wilwood calipers are floating. Likely not.

I am not. I haven't looked at the kit in 2 years. I have been busy doing life and am now looking to do some fun stuff soon. I have a 71 Dart that I am going to put a 5.9 Magnum motor with factory EFI and a 4 speed. I am going to run 4 wheel disc and am now just starting to research possibilities on setting everything up to get moving on the project. Eventual plans are for a 6.4 hemi down the road.

I did the green bearings when I did the rear disc setup, and found the only reason to use the green bearings is so the axle stick out is consistent on each side.
The factory taper bearings could be used. Just have to set the end play, and then shim the caliper brackets correctly for the amount of axle stick out from the housing.
Do you street drive your car or on race it? I am wondering about something that will be a reliable road trip car. I'm talking 5K miles a year maybe more.

Do you street drive your car or on race it? I am wondering about something that will be a reliable road trip car. I'm talking 5K miles a year maybe more.

Street on the convertible with the green bearings. Too low miles to tell on reliability?
My friends '68 Cuda has the green bearings too. We replaced them a few years ago. Originals were making noise because of the axle pre-load problem.
When we replaced them, we ground about 1 or 2 16ths off the axle end to stop the side loading of the bearings. He might have 5K on them?
His car has the Willwood brakes.
I'm rebuilding a 8-3/4" axle now and haven't decided on which bearings I want to use? It will have drum rear brakes, so don't have to worry about calipers.
the Convertible has the cheap "Right Stuff" 4 wheel disc kit. The problem with it is getting the correct length E-brake cables. The cables need to be about 2" longer than the stock '69 year Coronet E-brake cables.

Auto Transport Service
Back