• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rust Sucks!

Donny

Local time
3:36 PM
Reaction score
If you got rust, plan on three times as long and three times as much money to fix/repair/replace! As many of you know, I am up to my arm pits in a 1993 Dodge W250 restoration. I told the owner lets put new brake hoses on for general maintenance as they are 20 yrs old, he said sure, go ahead. Well, in attempting to turn out the brake lines from the hoses, every brake line was rusted shut, corroded and fused as one. Nothing to do but keep turning till the brake line breaks off, and, replacing all brake lines too! Ok, no problem, new brake lines bend easily into place, got that fire put out! Now, the rear brake hose has an axle breather bolt that doubles as vent tube for the Dana 70 rear end. That sucker was FUSED to the axle housing. I tried the 9/16 wrench to turn it out, rounded off the metal, then Vise Grips, ripped it apart. Next cut it flat off, run a easy out in there, yeah, this will work! Nope, broke 2 easy outs! I just kept pushing progressive force into it after soaking it with PB blast (good stuff). Now, I am certain I have shavings IN the axle. Got the easy outs out (what was left of them). Decided I have to check it out, and clean it out. I pulled the axle out, shone a light in there, and, sure enough, a pile of shavings! Off comes the differential cover to see if they have migrated. Nope.

So, right now, I have shavings in there, and a magnetic pointer works, but, I am not 100% confident I will get ALL of them out. I'm looking at the ring gear and such, wondering WTF, why me! I am certain I will have to pull this assembly out, clean it out, spray the tubes out. So, I took off the drum, brake shoes, backing plate, and, frigging rust was all inside too! The shoes were cracked and worn out to the rivets. So, likely new drums for this baby as this one drum was chipped, and the owner wants the integrity back, so, new ones are in order. But, the frigging hub, wow, I've never tore into a HD truck before like this, the inner seal reflects its a 9,000 lb axle according to the part number, and the cross reference at O'Reilly's. See where this all is going? RUST SUCKS! I have to have his brakes fully operational and free of debris, rust etc. The owner has given me the go-ahead to do this work, he knows its more time and money, but, he knows its good money spent! This sort of stuff is where all my time goes! Oh yeah, the axle breather hole, I got it cleaned out, re-ran threads, but, the threads were too open, and not as tight as I'd like, so, I welded the hole up, drilled a new one about 1cm away, kept going up to (I think) 24/64 drill bit, then ran a 7/16 20 tap in, the new nipple hose bolt (which I ordered from Dodge, and it came from an old dealership in Detroit) went right it, nice and tight too! Did I say RUST SUCKS!!!????

donny I no what your talking about with RUST ,when ohio use to use only salt on the roads it was bad enough but they have been using that damn liquid spray now and its out of control ,wash all the time ,use all the means to fight it and the **** still rust them ,wish they would use something else , I no they could . sometime I think its a conspiracy.

RUST. It's natures thread locker.

I have felt your pain! And glad you have managed to get through some of it in one piece.

Sounds like this thing may have been used to plow snow? They are the worst. If/when I am looking for a truck,I run away from anything that was used to plow snow. That **** is really hard on a truck,and if you get a yahoo behind the wheel, its more like a demolition derby than plowing!

Wasn't a plow truck ever. He bought it brand new for 29K in '93. See the breather tube screwed through the new brake hose? Also, see I pulled th cover off, going to have to pull the gear assy out, but, I need to get smart(er) on that first, all to chase down the possibility AND probability that the shavings have gotten into the ring gear area. San Antonio-20120929-00343.jpg

Donny. I always had a problem with rusty fittings and have a little oxy/cet. torch with a fine tip. Saved me dozens of times with brake lines etc. Dont know if you ever tried kroil lubricant ( in the nuclear world that's all we use and that stuff works phenomenol ) Good luck.

we used that when I was in the military also

Auto Transport Service
Back