• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RV water pump housing vs std 440 housing

Sonny

It’s all fun til the rabbit gets the gun.
Local time
7:09 PM
Reaction score
I rebuilt a ‘78 motor home for my rr clone. I’m using a new 440 source housing and noticed the hole in the center behind the pump is twice as big as the rv housing. Which is best for cooling?
C3F7171C-73C0-41A0-A090-C1F915960325.jpeg

More flow better cooling. Use the aluminum housing with a hi flow pump. 440'

Thanks. I didn’t realize the radiator water flows from the back of the housing thru that hole to the pump.

I agree....the shroud, or opening, acts as a impeller diffuser that prevents or inhibits the re-circulation of the coolant that exits the tips of the impeller back to the impeller "eye" and it prevents or inhibits cavation (reduced flow due to turbulence as the coolant enters the pump) at high pump RPM....a potential cause of overheating due to inadequate coolant flow. Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

I have a 440 from 1968 in my car, original steel housing that pulls from the drivers side. I already put a high flow aluminum pump in the housing years ago. I didn't know that center hole size might be different. I have no idea what my engine came out of; the car is a 73. Does anyone know if all 68 housings might have the smaller center hole as shown above or was the smaller hole only used on motor home engines?? If in fact all stock 440 engines used the smaller hole, I will jump on that 440 source housing in a heartbeat!

440source makes a passenger-side exit water pump housing? I don't see it on their site, must be discontinued by now (I understand I'm replying to an old post).

Auto Transport Service
Back