• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ryan Newman WILL be down for Breakfast

Hey FJ6AAR,
You are ONLY speaking the truth !!!!!
When that happened, and I watched it 2000 times,
Dale WAS blocking for Michael Waltrip's first NASCAR win.....
Sterling Marlin was getting DEATH THREATS.... So I felt compelled to help. I called Sterling Marlin's shop down there in North Carolina -- and spoke to Betty, who was answering the phone. I told Betty that I would go on record that Sterling was blocked and had NOWHERE to go .......
I left her my phone number -- and said I would help in anyway I could....
About two weeks later, I got a phone call from a guy with a real high pitched voice and a distinct southern drawl...
He said, " Hi, is Craig Stanley there ?"
I replied, " This is Craig."
He said, " Hi, this is Sterling Marlin, I wanted to call and thank you for your support."
The conversation was only maybe 45 seconds long ---- he said "You can imagine that I'm pretty busy with all this, but I wanted to say thanks."
What a GREAT GUY !!!!
" I did manage to congratulate him on his back-to-back Daytona 500 Wins (1994 & 1995)" and he replied,
"Yeah, I guess those are the greatest moments of my life..."

Hey FJ6AAR,
You are ONLY speaking the truth !!!!!
When that happened, and I watched it 2000 times,
Dale WAS blocking for Michael Waltrip's first NASCAR win.....
Sterling Marlin was getting DEATH THREATS.... So I felt compelled to help. I called Sterling Marlin's shop down there in North Carolina -- and spoke to Betty, who was answering the phone. I told Betty that I would go on record that Sterling was blocked and had NOWHERE to go .......
I left her my phone number -- and said I would help in anyway I could....
About two weeks later, I got a phone call from a guy with a real high pitched voice and a distinct southern drawl...
He said, " Hi, is Craig Stanley there ?"
I replied, " This is Craig."
He said, " Hi, this is Sterling Marlin, I wanted to call and thank you for your support."
The conversation was only maybe 45 seconds long ---- he said "You can imagine that I'm pretty busy with all this, but I wanted to say thanks."
What a GREAT GUY !!!!
" I did manage to congratulate him on his back-to-back Daytona 500 Wins (1994 & 1995)" and he replied,
"Yeah, I guess those are the greatest moments of my life..."
I got to meet Sterling once, when he was driving for the old Morgan-Mclure Racing out of Abingdon, VA.
Those were his heydays like you said, where the team was very good on restrictor plate races like Daytona,
thanks to an engine builder by the name of Runt Pittman. What a great name.... turns out, the actual guy
was real quiet, real serious and always chewed on a toothpick, eyeballing you as you spoke to him...
but I digress.
I had designed the fire sprinkler systems for the new M-M race shop in Abingdon and was up there several
times. As the team started moving into the facility and activity picked up, recognizable faces started coming
there, including Sterling.
I remember walking by one day and he was getting all gussied up in his racing gear for photos. They had a
"stage car" set up with a lot of lights and cameras and such and there he was, looking bored and not
wanting to be there, so I stopped and asked if I could shake his hand.
He seemed genuinely relieved and was very gracious and friendly.
We spoke about the unique sound their engines made on the track and he was quick to credit Runt for that
and his "magic" in the headers - it seemed Runt had discovered some scavenging techniques by the way they
bent up their headers vs. anyone else, giving the car an almost whistley-scream at high rpms.

Later on, they let Sterling go after a winless season and along came Bobby Hamilton. I spoke with him once
and it wasn't the same for whatever reason (he might have been too busy, who knows)....RIP just the same.
M-M got shuffled out of the mix as the bigger, better funded multi-car teams came on the scene.
Darn shame. They were a pretty cool little operation and were always good to me.

I got to meet Sterling once, when he was driving for the old Morgan-Mclure Racing out of Abingdon, VA.
Those were his heydays like you said, where the team was very good on restrictor plate races like Daytona,
thanks to an engine builder by the name of Runt Pittman. What a great name.... turns out, the actual guy
was real quiet, real serious and always chewed on a toothpick, eyeballing you as you spoke to him...
but I digress.
I had designed the fire sprinkler systems for the new M-M race shop in Abingdon and was up there several
times. As the team started moving into the facility and activity picked up, recognizable faces started coming
there, including Sterling.
I remember walking by one day and he was getting all gussied up in his racing gear for photos. They had a
"stage car" set up with a lot of lights and cameras and such and there he was, looking bored and not
wanting to be there, so I stopped and asked if I could shake his hand.
He seemed genuinely relieved and was very gracious and friendly.
We spoke about the unique sound their engines made on the track and he was quick to credit Runt for that
and his "magic" in the headers - it seemed Runt had discovered some scavenging techniques by the way they
bent up their headers vs. anyone else, giving the car an almost whistley-scream at high rpms.

Later on, they let Sterling go after a winless season and along came Bobby Hamilton. I spoke with him once
and it wasn't the same for whatever reason (he might have been too busy, who knows)....RIP just the same.
M-M got shuffled out of the mix as the bigger, better funded multi-car teams came on the scene.
Darn shame. They were a pretty cool little operation and were always good to me.

My 70 Charger Daytona stock car project was built in that shop.
20180617_130448.jpg
20180213_143451.jpg
20180213_143407.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back