• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Safe RPM Limit

I haven’t had great experiences with fast rate hyd lifter cams and extended rpm operation in BB applications.
I suspect that some valvetrain unhappiness will occur in the 5500-6000rpm range.

I've used this particular Harold Brookshire camshaft design in LA and B-engines and as Lunati states 6200. No reason to spin to the moon regardless of the strength (or weakness) of the bottom end components. If the parts are good, within spec and assembled properly don't push your luck and rev past the camshaft design parameters. It's a good grind with excellent street manners and power band, so enjoy it!

Last edited:
I agree with PR the valve train will be your limiting factor. If Lunati says 6200, I'd plan on 6000 to 6200. No idea what the Sidewinder heads support. Stay around 6000 and be happy.

I would start at 5400 and go up or 6000 and go down until the hot rod is happy. IMHO

My son ran that cam in this truck. Reringed 68 440, ported 452's and lots of time on the limiter. 5800RPM and no failures after several years of beatings.

Sean the tree hugger.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back