• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Saginaw power steering pump question

roadrunner57

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:24 AM
Reaction score
Stupid question time. Are GM and Mopar mid 70s Saginaw power steering pumps interchangeable? Are the brackets the same?

thanks in advance.

From what I have seen, the pump and reservoir are the same as what was used on millions of GM and AMC cars and trucks. The mounting holes too. The brackets were specific to each engine and each automaker. A 350 from a Chevy, Buick, Pontiac and Oldsmobile were all different, same with every other engine. Sometimes, even the addition of air conditioning meant different P/S brackets.

The pressure hose will be metric or SAW depending on application. However the fitting in the pump is unchangeable.

Stupid question time. Are GM and Mopar mid 70s Saginaw power steering pumps interchangeable? Are the brackets the same?

thanks in advance.
Keep it to pre-1974 to have the key way style pump shaft and SAE mounting holes. 1975 is press on shaft with SAE threads, 1976 and later are all press-on with metric threads.

Keep it to pre-1974 to have the key way style pump shaft and SAE mounting holes. 1975 is press on shaft with SAE threads, 1976 and later are all press-on with metric threads.

well crap, how do you tell the year of these pumps? I think the one I have is a 1978 because that is engine date. I think that is the original pump that came with the engine.

well crap, how do you tell the year of these pumps? I think the one I have is a 1978 because that is engine date. I think that is the original pump that came with the engine.
The key way style pump will have a nut holding the pulley on. Pulley should come off by hand once you remove the sit.

Mine is a press on, so if it is a 78 pump (assumption), then I am guessing search for a GM or MOPAR 1976 or later. Of course, I could be unlucky and have a 1975 year. We'll see, experiment coming.

I found a 78 Chevy pump and it mounts correctly. So I think I am good here.

thanks for your help.

Auto Transport Service
Back