• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Salutaions: I just joined. 1966 Charger AWB.

Seeking input and ideas on which recipe to go with for a STREET 1966 Hemi Charger Altered Wheelbase build = AWB. Of concern is how much engine Setback if any. The aforementioned 66 Charger is roomy with lots of real estate for possible Hemi half in and half out of firewall recipe. I own two Willys Gasser projects and have returned to the AFX AWB culture.

Sausage.

I think the answer lies in how much fabrication you want to do, and if you are moving the front axle forward, the rear axle forward, or both. The engine can be set back only so much before you have to change the dash/seating/pedal arrangement, triggering a bunch more fabrication. If the axle(s) are being moved, you already have created the weight transfer advantage. Is it a wheel-stander or a race car?

Hope I can see it someday!

welcome to FBBO

maybe post the questions in the Racers Hangout
&/or the Resto-Mod & pro-Touring forum/s sections here
both sections should be right up your alley

Good luck with the AWB 'Altered Wheel Base' gen 1 charger

a couple "vintage" icons & example below
66 Charger AWB.jpg

more of an early FC, but it's a AFX AWB 67 Charger
67 Charger FC AWB AFX Mr. Norm's Super Charger.jpg

67 Charger FC AWB AFX Mr. Norm's Super Charger #2.jpg

67 Charger FC AWB AFX Mr. Norm's sales advert. #1.jpg

Rear wheels moved forward 15", front wheels moved forward 10"

Stock, notice that the rear tire basically starts are the rear quarter window drop off

Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 1.36.11 PM.png

AWB, rear tire is at least 50% under the rear window and the engine is in the windshield

Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 1.46.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 1.46.46 PM.png

Looks like the engine on Phantom Charger isn't set back nearly as far... Look where the headers are compared to Don Schumachers Stardust Charger above...

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back