• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Salvaged (new) Hemi engines

verdelaw

Local time
4:08 AM
Reaction score
At some point I know I will most likely replace the motor in my car. That time is not now, as I don't have funds. However, I'd like to have some things thought out ahead of time whenever I find myself with funds or I find myself with what seems like a deal.

Anyone reading in this forum swapped in an engine from a late model car? If I found a pickup truck or car hemi that was fairly priced (say from a wreck), what things should I look for? The first things that immediately come to mind fitting a new engine to an old car are electrical. I'm sure the entire electrical system has to be overhauled and improved. Next thing that comes to mind is accessories. Then engine height/position and motor mounts, as well as transmission fitting. And on and on.. Honestly it sounds like a huge pain in the ***.

Is it even worth it? I feel like even if you find a good deal.. you won't end up saving much or any money at all after you figure out and pay for all the things that go into making it work in your car.

If I found a used 5.7 or 6.4 with all the accessories and ECU/wiring, assuming no damage (maybe a rear end collision/totaled car).. what is a good price? Curious for your installation success/nightmare stories.

I just built a 5.7 . You are correct.If you build a new hemi to make reliable power you are not going to save any money!My 5.7 has a forged rotating assembly CNC ported 6.1 heads and manifold I am trying to see how much power I can pull out of a 5.7. If you buy one out of a wrecked car it would cost about the same as a nice big block.

Paging Darious!

When I was figuring out which engine to put in my '72 B-body, it was a toss up between the 6.1 and the 8.3, in the end, it is a very similar cost.. The stand-alone wiring harness for the 5.7/6.1 is astronomical, and to find a 6 speed that would bolt up to it left me overly confused.. Great engines though.

15-2500 for eng/trans
1k for wiring harness
500ish for fuel system
3-600 for mounts and incidentals
800 for tti headers
3-600 for radiator and electric fan(s)

Maybe less if you can find good deals.

Auto Transport Service
Back