• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sand in vent plenum

AR67GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:38 PM
Reaction score
So - I knew this 66 Satellite had been mostly media blasted to a bare shell when restored years ago. I’ve found small amounts of sand going through the car last year, rewiring it and many other things. However, until I opened up the floor vents and hit about 70 yesterday I didn't realize he didn’t get the plenum cleaned out good too. I thought I was in a sand storm and it took me an hour to vacuum every surface in the car of sand and dust.

So now I’m trying to figure out some filter sand traps I can duct tape over the floor vents and do a couple high speed passes down the freeway to blow it out. But I’m also wondering if it’s practical to flood the plenum with water and wash it out. I had the heater box and driver vent box out last year and didn’t see any thing in them so pretty sure most of it is (or was) down in the plenum. But before I try that I want to make sure I know where the plenum drains are so I can make sure they are clear. Can anyone describe or show by photo where the plenum drains out at?

you can use the paper style filters for shop vacs, or a bag style filter that's used for pool cleaning robots, to put over the vent ducts

Flooding with water wouldn't be a bad idea imo.....then go for a 70+ mph ride and dry it out. Btw, the drains are pretty big so that shouldn't be a problem.....at least the drains are big on my 66 Belvedere.

Some good suggestions. It got me to thinking about a couple old t-shirts - tie up the sleeves and neck and bag them around the vent boxes. I’ll try that and then flood it to get the dust out. Thanks.

Some good suggestions. It got me to thinking about a couple old t-shirts - tie up the sleeves and neck and bag them around the vent boxes. I’ll try that and then flood it to get the dust out. Thanks.
If you need a pics on how big the drains are, I can post them as my front fenders are still off the car.....

I would like to know out of a sense of curiosity. I’ve spent a lot of time under there but never noticed them. A picture would help. Thanks

Maybe this helps, you 'll probable need to remove the rear splash shields to see them.

IMG_2105.JPG
IMG_2106.JPG

Flooding with water wouldn't be a bad idea imo.....then go for a 70+ mph ride and dry it out. Btw, the drains are pretty big so that shouldn't be a problem.....at least the drains are big on my 66 Belvedere.
The problem with that is the same as I have with glass bead in heads/blocks/etc.. is that when it gets wet, it sticks to EVERYTHING... Ever been to the beach :poke::thumbsup:

I can blow the living **** out of heads or blocks (especially Cummins 6 cyls), and when I start turning them over in the head machine, no matter how much I have blown it out, glass bead will inevitably come out.

I had the same problem. If you take your vent housing out you will see the problem. There is a definite dropped area between where the gasket fits and the outside. This is where the sand is. I fished out sand by hand.
Then taped a 3/8” fuel line to the vacuum cleaner hose. Bent the hose and sucked the sand out of the depression.
That is where my problem sand was.

I had a 1968 Charger media blasted many years ago. and had the exact same issue. I taped old T shirts over the vents and drove it, several times . Just kept pulling the shirts too shake them out until they remain cleaned.

IMO, do NOT get it wet . Like said , it sticks to everything

Auto Transport Service
Back