• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

scariest or worst way you got a car home

goose69

Local time
8:49 AM
Reaction score
Lets see how many shady "redneck" or just shear scary ways we got some of our cars home.
I had a buddy that was ALWAYS picking up cars and for CHEAP!! One time he asked me to bring a car home because he couldn't do it alone.
obviously this was before we were either smart enough or had enough money for a car trailer (mostly the forementioned). We went to go out to get this mid sixties chrysler that he bought just for the 440 and wouldn't you know it, the thing hadn't been started in MANY years. Well we couldn't get it going so he tossed out a short tow strap out of his truck and said "lets hook it up!" Great
I thought to myself, another fun adventure. We hooked it up and started for home. Well second problem we ran into, actually it mostly became MY problem, no brakes!!! I tried screaming my fool head off at him but he either wasn't listening, had very selective hearing, or he couldn't hear over the blown out glass packs tied to the 440 in his truck. First stoplight came and well...........no brakes.....BAM into his overly large monstrosity of a bumper he had on his truck. Turning his head around and seeing this he chuckled. At this point in time I really wanted to bail out and thinking back it would have been a better chioce. The whole way home he got the kick out of slamming on the brakes and leaving me helpless to do nothing but steer this wandering pig, oh yea, did I forget to mention the whole power steering ordeal? Yea you know how well it works without the motor running. Sure we made it home, but it was a while until I was dumb enough to volunteer to help him out again!:iamwithstupid:

:iamwithstupid: I did the flat tow from Sacramento to Garden Valley in the foothills by Placerville, I had wrecked my 68 Charger R/T after going to Scaramento Raceway & then to the cruise night, then I ran into a jacked up 68 Camaro, looking at girls on the cruise night @ J Street in old town Sacto., the 66 Mustang ahead of the 68 Camaro I butted, had the tail lights blacked out in ares, so it read sex every time the girls stepped on the brakes, being 16 young dumb & full of cum, car full of HS friends in the same state of mind, I was paying more attention to the girls & stupid tail lights of the car 2 cars in-front of me & bang/crash smash, my Pops had to drive his "Heep 74 CJ-5" down & tow me off Hwy-50/the freeway @ midnight, we tried to drive it home 70+ miles, by stuffing gum in the holes that were punched in my radiator, that worked for a while & then started to get really hot, we had to pull over & walk to a pay phone & call Pops, what a fiasco, that was the worst part, then had to flat tow, an automatic car, with P/S & P/B behind a pissed off old man, driving up mountain roads, the worst part was the humiliation from all my HS friends also my stupid buddies in the car & that people saw me towed home latter that night, when they were leaving & then at the cruise with the cops just laughing their butts off at me.... I have paid much better attention to what I'm doing ever since...

so me and my buddy mike go and look at a nice 70 nova drag car that he decides to buy.prob was it is converted to all tube front end with no suspention on it.he says he's got an old boat trailor we can tow it with.(my trailor is split in the middle to save weight so we cant put the car on it)so we go to his "boat trailor" and all that is there is the frame.he decides to cut off the hitch assembly and about 7 feet of steel.we take it and some chains to the car and he hooks it all together to turn the car into a trailor.works great,tow it to his house(about 20 miles).only prob was when we unhooked it from the truck hitch it fell off the car.i turned to him and said"well,i guesss we just made it".

Drove a 73 Cahllenger home about 50 miles on the 70 MPH freeway at night with no floor board under the driver side pedals.
Just jagged, rusty edges of a hole almost all the way to the trans cross member.
Had I forgotten that, and put my heel down---well, no more foot.
Muffler fell off about 1/2 way- exhaust gas filling pass compartment and all, not to mention loud as hell.

Went to Daytona for the 500 in my buddys Corvair way back. Drank a lot of beer and slept on the beach-pulled up high into the sand so the tide wouldn't get us. The buddy drove heavy trucks and had a heavy hand. Got up in the morning backed out of the sand, spun the wheel with the brake lightly applied and the wheel spun to the stop and something said "snap". The car seemed OK so breakfast and to the track through the tunnel and into the infield. Watched the race drank more beer ect.

The race ends and we start up for the tunnel, the first turn and it happens!!! The wheel raises up out of the column and the bearings drop in his lap. I get under it and the snap was the aluminum rack splitting!!! I walked out through the tunnel to the Pure station (way back it was Pure) --the guy now busy as hell says theres a barrell of old stuff back there --take anything you need. I go back and root through it and come up with about 2 feet of plumber's tape and a long bolt and nut. I wrapped the tape around the rack a couple of times and tightened it with the bolt. Off we went 250 miles to home with a full turn of play in the wheel!!! We all took turns driving --it was wild --wind , camber in the road, whatever, you had to spin the wheel a turn to correct. Came through one town on US1 with two wheels up on the sidewalk --got up there with a low curb and couldn't get down til we found some more low curb. Somehow we made it home in one piece. Sometimes I wonder how any of us survived.

I traded a 64 Chevy for a 62 Thunderbird that needed a trans.. I had it but had to get the car home, in reverse 8 miles all back roads lol, Almost had it in the ditch a 1/2 dozen times and when i went to turn the corner, only 1/4 mile left the brakes went out, coasted down the small grade but couldn't stop or slow down to get into the drive way. Our yard had been graded down to the road without a ditch so i coasted in the yard backwards and finally got stopped when dad came out on the porch standing there just looking at me, I got out of the car and tried to get my head to work in the forward position again and told him, I can explain, he simply said NOPE, Not this time, don't need to hear it tonight! lol.. Id call it a redneck teenage thing to say the least, but at least i didn't get caught doing it and never tried that one again! lol..

With one eye closed and the other one seeing triple.

I've driven a couple cars home that had been sitting for years, luckily they seemed to work ok for the trips never having a problem. Worst I had so far was when I towed a chevy monza home. Had it on a tow dolly and the front tires were the wrong size for the wheels, so they didn't quite hold air right. Got it on the dolly, and the tires slowly leaked all the air out before we left. Was a 2 hour drive home driving normally, and I realized any time I got over 50 mph the dolly and car started fishtailing. Turns out strapping down empty tires will keep the car on a dolly, but won't keep it in the same place on a dolly at certain speeds. So three hours of driving 50 mph in a 75 and I got it home.

Bought a 69 camaro a couple years back and it was close enough that I was just able to push it to my house lol. Was only about 6 blocks away, but that seemed a lot worse pushing a car.

Just left the Cowtown Mopar Club meeting in Fort Worth many years ago in my 66 Satellite (lst year of the single pot master cylinder) and was on the freeway in the middle of downtown at night. Hit the brake, pedal went to the floor. Limped home in heavy traffic using the parking brake and downshifting the 727. Lots of near misses; my butt puckered so much I sucked the seat cover off the seat! Got home and found a blown wheel cylinder. That week I rebuilt the brakes using the dual master cylinder and prop valve off a boneyard 67.

When I was 16/17 I was at a friend of a friends party out at his acreage 70km out of the city, middle of winter, -25C out and my Empty light was on in my old 82 Buick. When we left I was told the gas station at the town about 5k down the highway (in the opposite direction of home) was open 24hr. It wasn't. Now i'm 75km out of town, in the middle of butt fudge nowhere Saskatchewan with the bright orange empty light shining in my face, 2am and too cold to turn the engine off and sleep for the night. I sat for a few minutes and decided to try and get to the gas station right outside the city that I thought was open 24hr but wasn't quite sure and it was right off the highway. I think I was only doign about 70kmh in a 110 the entire way. As I got close to the gas station I saw it was open and that was probably the best feeling of my life haha. My car started sputter, at the same time I realized I missed the exit for the gas station so I floored it and used my last fumes of gas to plow through the snow filled median and across opposite lanes of traffic and through another ditch just in time to run out of gas in the parking lot and coast to a stop at the pump LOL. I went and paid for gas, my drunk buddy was outside puking everywhere, and the cashier said that's the craziest thing he's seen in all the years he's worked there. all in all it was a happy ending haha. If that gas station wasn't open we would probably have died trying to walk home in the -30 windchill with no real winter gear.

Thanks for reading my random story lol

I have another story I might tell about driving some hilly back roads at 3am, in the middle of winter, drunk in a fwd Oldsmobile, being at least 50km from any kind of civilization and having to catch a plane the next morning haha

Years ago in the middle of winter my wifes tranny in her cutlass takes a dump. We were young , broke, and desprate. She's about 15 miles from home. Got reverse only. So I drove it home in reverse. Across some very major intersections and backwards down some 40 mph roads. Got lots of looks, horn blowing, and flipped off several times.

In about 86 I had a beater 2dr granada with a hot 302 4bbl with a good posi....got it for a winter ride....was out fooling around with an ex at the time way up in the thumb of MI drinking on the back roads when we jumped a bridge and had a nasty blow out in the front pass tire. I knew it was a 2 hour walk to a phone so we started walking..in about 20 minute a car fly's by us at about 110....slams on the breaks hits reverse blowin dirt road everywhere....Im thinkin o ****.....my buddy that I had not seen in like 2 years jumps out with a beer in hand ....his girl and him were doing the same thing....we wound up in luddington that nite/morning/day camping on a beach...

In 70, my room mate and I run across a 56 Chevy 2dr sedan sitting off to the side at some apartments with a nice body but no engine or trans and the front end was jacked WAY up in the air. Looked like someone had reversed the spindles on it not to mention no weight being in it too. It had decent looking wheels but that was about it except for a Grant chrome spoke steering wheel and mid 60's Impala buckets seats. It had been sitting there for a good while and no one seemed to know who owned it and the manager at the apartments didn't know either and said she was about to have it towed off. "We'll tow it!" just give us a day we said. We went back the next day and well, someone took the steering wheel off so Mike and I just look at each other wondering what now and Mike's eyes lit up so he goes to my tool box and pulls out a pair of vise grips. Oh great I think lol. You're driving it I said! We hook up a chain to the right side bracket on my trailer hitch on my 66 Belvedere and go and it's ok until I hit about 35 and go over some uneven surfaces and the Chevy is now going back and forth like crazy. At least it had brakes but it yanked the chain pretty good and nearly pulls my hitch off. My room mate's hands were getting beat and finally quit trying to control it and just nailed the brake. I saw all of this going on and was wondering what to do and let off the gas but was afraid to use the brakes and that's when he stopped me with a good hard snap. After closer inspection, we move the chain to the other side of the hitch and go a bit slower and made it to the house...

I gave my best car story above here goes best truck story. I worked for a wrecker service in high school (over 50 years ago) From time to time the receptionist wouldn't ask the right questions about the tow and we would end up hopelessly under trucked. One day the call came to tow in a brokedown truck. I took a long wheelbase 1 1/2 Ford wrecker. It turned out it was a very heavy truck with a crane mounted and the 4 corner base supports that the left front wheel had collapsed right inside the wheel. I attached my wrecker and engaged the winch--the truck eases up then the front wheels of my wrecker lifted off. We didn't have far to go so I eased it off to get my wheels touching and decided to drag the rig with the broken wheel somewhat on the ground and the operator steering. Off we went-- the problem was as I torqued to pull, my front wheels lifted! I eased the winch so i could steer and max weight was off the bad wheel. It was all a straight line pull until I had a left turn up a 15% grade and over a small bridge. I approached the left at my tow speed of about 25 mph and traffic cleared --I left off power to get good bite with my front wheels, shifted down to second, got it alligned with the bridge and went to full power, the strain was so hard I couldn't maintain second so I "doubleclutched" back to the true first gear which was a stump puller. The front wheels of the wrecker were way up as we topped the bridge and I let out a holler. The rest of the way was easy.

Years later I adapted "Doubleclutch" as my handle.

bought a 72 satellite sebring plus,the car started but would not stay running,so we decided to just pull it home,about 3 miles mostly gravel roads,didnt know the drivers side frame rail was gone,and the drivers side torsion bar had already snapped in too,the guy pulling me thought it would be cool to go about 45mph on the wash board gravel road,thought the car was going to break in two,but did make it home,my back was killing me for a week after the ride.

bought a car in vancouver. had to drive it back home to alberta through the rocky mountains. Didn't realize that he pulled the heater core so no heat. Also it was snowing (was still winter) and the roads were slick and the car had worn summer performance tires on. The girlfirend I brought along with me never complained once. So I married her.

Used to be standard operating procedure back in the day, upon purchase of our latest "Refugee from a junkyard", to take the tags off one car and put them on the new gem. Dad had given my Uncle our old 63 Chrysler wagon to use on his farm about 70 miles from our house. The old wagon served as their winter car to drive up and down the winding gravel mountain road to the parking area down bottom by the main road, and was used as a storage shed for misc. crap used on the farm the rest of the year. After a few years of this duty word came to us the wagon was no longer needed and was headed to the scrap yard unless we wanted it back. As any 18 year old who was offered a free car would do, I got a ride with a couple buddies and off we went. We got the car running, no one told us the exhaust had rotted off at the y-pipe, and eased down the driveway only to discover a vacuum leak that if more then a feather foot on the gas, the car would loose all power. So down the interstate we go at about 25-30 MPH, 5 MPH up the hills, on the shoulder when there was one, and getting the attention of everyone on the road including what seemed like a couple dozen cops who blew by us shaking their heads. About halfway home the Yellow Jackets, who had made their nest in the rear seat area, decided they had enough of the no exhaust situation and caused us to stop on the shoulder for a while, to allow most of them to clear out. We made it home about 5 hours after leaving the farm.

Reading through these stories makes me glad that we all grew up in the era before traffic/surveillance/ cell phone cameras were everywhere. The stuff we used to pull would surely get us locked up now, or at least a spot on "Dumbest Stuff on Wheels".

Used to be standard operating procedure back in the day, upon purchase of our latest "Refugee from a junkyard", to take the tags off one car and put them on the new gem. Dad had given my Uncle our old 63 Chrysler wagon to use on his farm about 70 miles from our house. The old wagon served as their winter car to drive up and down the winding gravel mountain road to the parking area down bottom by the main road, and was used as a storage shed for misc. crap used on the farm the rest of the year. After a few years of this duty word came to us the wagon was no longer needed and was headed to the scrap yard unless we wanted it back. As any 18 year old who was offered a free car would do, I got a ride with a couple buddies and off we went. We got the car running, no one told us the exhaust had rotted off at the y-pipe, and eased down the driveway only to discover a vacuum leak that if more then a feather foot on the gas, the car would loose all power. So down the interstate we go at about 25-30 MPH, 5 MPH up the hills, on the shoulder when there was one, and getting the attention of everyone on the road including what seemed like a couple dozen cops who blew by us shaking their heads. About halfway home the Yellow Jackets, who had made their nest in the rear seat area, decided they had enough of the no exhaust situation and caused us to stop on the shoulder for a while, to allow most of them to clear out. We made it home about 5 hours after leaving the farm.

Reading through these stories makes me glad that we all grew up in the era before traffic/surveillance/ cell phone cameras were everywhere. The stuff we used to pull would surely get us locked up now, or at least a spot on "Dumbest Stuff on Wheels".
Man, Your last statement is true! We wouldn't get away with half the crap we used to now!

I bought a Road Runner with a blown up 383. I put my plates on it and called AAA, and they dispatched a wrecker to tow it to my place 70 miles away. Free towing... :)

I bought a Road Runner with a blown up 383. I put my plates on it and called AAA, and they dispatched a wrecker to tow it to my place 70 miles away. Free towing... :)

Hey thats funny! We've used AAA for the same thing before.......

Auto Transport Service
Back