• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Screw drivers

Im using one now .Lefty loosy

Righty tighty

Be sure to use the proper tool. A left-hand thread screw calls for a -screwer- (one that turns the driver) that is left-handed.
Beware of screwdrivers that go both ways. In the confused hands of the ambidextrous -work may not get done.:)

BTW a friend of mine showed me a piece of threaded rod he collected that appeared to be 3/8 -16. However, neither a left or right-hand thread nut would thread onto it. It was neither and fooled the eye very well. (I have no idea where he got it or how and why it came to be)

For those pesky Chinese fasteners:

Driver Set - Toy.jpg

Personally I prefer these. I've had my set well over 30 years. Originally had the black square handles, but the tool rep warrantied the handles out and put on new red and black as seen below.
Drivers - Snap-On.jpg

Just like drivers there are cheap screws and good screws. Why they stick phelps heads on a heavy duty screw is absurd.
We use 6 way bit drivers and dewalt drill drivers.
No room to carry 4 sets of screw drivers. Just 4 bit drivers and a bit for just about everything.

Wife retired from Stanley tools. She was in HR at there small tools plant in SC. They made screw drivers for just about every body. One day Mac next day Proto etc.
Stanley owns Mac, Proto, Irwin, and now Craftsman. They also make Husky for Home Depot.

Interesting how this thread diverted from who makes a decent phillips head screwdriver, to all the crappy screw head types.

I'm in the market for a new set of screwdrivers. Don't need insulated.
A few years back I bought a pack of Channel lock Limited Edition screw drivers at Sams Club that were pretty decent. They look like the "Code Blue" ones with the three sided handles.
Also had some old Snap-On screw drivers with the square black handles that were really nice.
My wife and kids seem to take my screwdrivers and never return them, I need a good set to lock in the tool box.
Leave some cheapies out with some wheel grease on the,,,,,or maybe some used 90wt:rofl:

For a second there, I thought you were going to say there is a line of left-handed screwdrivers available. :lol:
My pop {RIP} had NO automotive knowledge and many folk wonder how I became a motorhead...be that as it may,,,I bought him a cheap screwdriver set for the house so he would stop losing mine.I told hem they were leftys because he was and he was so thankfull!!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Snap-On for my posi-drive set. Of which I have only ever used the No.2 size. Lol. Mac tools for every other driver. Philips,common,Allen,torx,torx plus.

Is there such a thing as high quality phillips screwdrivers? I mean ones that do not round off the edges. Seems that I have seen some that the blades have little serrations that grip and hold into the screw. I don't want ones that are guaranteed replacement only, because many times they don't last , and it gets tiresome going to the city to get them replaced. ..........................MO

Just for fun I went back to the (phillips) head of this thread.
I have seen and used some "high quality" drivers and seen the "serrations" that were intended for extra grip.
The reality is that the design of the "phillips" style was poor, to begin with. It requires a perpendicular alignment to work as intended/designed.
The loose fit that is felt gives the sense that it should work ok with angular contact with the driver. This (along with soft materials for the screws and drivers) leads to damaged screw heads and rounding of poor quality steel drivers.

I have been there and done that for forty years. When I see a Phillips head screw that I --really-- need to remove, I give it a close look first. If it already has damage I will try a hammer type driver first rather than risk making the screw head into a useless mess.

As has been mentioned in this thread. Other drive types are much better and lasting. Like square drive, hex/allan, torx, etc. What they all have in common is they force perpendicular alignment for a fit that "Phillips" does not. Even a "reed and prince" style will tell one --by feel- when the driver is engaged properly and ready to screw.

Auto Transport Service
Back