• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sears

Sears ate many of the smaller mom & pop stores back in the day & the same thing is now happening to them. Over the years, most all of the smaller local department store chains were done in by KMart & WalMart. Now KMart is almost gone & in time, eventually Wally Mart will go. F.W. Woolworth was huge, but they have been gone for at least 20 years & that was before the computer age.

Bad management decisions are a major factor, but as in nature, the big fish eat the smaller fish & that's what's happening with all these retailers.
Free market capitalism. It's a constantly evolving economic system. Most chain brick and mortar stores are on their way out, done in by on-line retailers that offer free shipping. The younger generations don't go into stores, they shop on-line. We're the last of the brick and mortar shoppers.

Last edited:
The online retailers aren't doing it, either. Its the people not shopping at the local stores.

I dont think young people even like stores.

They are too lazy to go to a store, and it's human interaction they don't like. They'd rather talk to someone through a device and the device on the other end relays the message to the intended recipient.

With Sears closing more stores i was wondering is Sears future sealed. Will they the giant they were someday close completely. At one time the name Sears implied quality and American value. Ive heard the usual excuses about labor costs and retirement benefits which is complete rubbish as Sears offers profit sharing.
Ive also heard that Sears never went the on line route and didn't change with the times.
Your views on this American icon. Thanks

Personally, I think it was the business model.
If you think about it, Sears invented the mail order (what we now call on line) sales model.
Sears then moved to the city's and plaza's then to the malls. They got tied to the Malls with high rent and no room to expand to get into lumber or hardware. Then after 20+ years the Mall's started to get over run by mall rat kids and gangs, so the paying customers started to drop off. They tried to do the Sears Hardware stores but it was just to little to late. The real down turn is when Home Depot and Lowes came along. Home Depot and Lowes took the Lawn and Garden, Tools, and appliance business. And once on line took off, it was the death nail.

It's a shame, It's a 100 plus year old company. JC Penny's is going to be right behind them.

They're not going to make it. They lost there key brands... Craftsmen and Kenmoore
There's nothing left. There suppliers or what's left of them are all trying to protect them selves from bankruptcy exposure. I doubt they'll make it through the year.

Thank you Sears!!

sears.jpg

They are too lazy to go to a store, and it's human interaction they don't like. They'd rather talk to someone through a device and the device on the other end relays the message to the intended recipient.
You are so right. I am appalled at how many can't even participate in a normal conversation when I try to have one with them. They literally can't converse.

Sears ate many of the smaller mom & pop stores back in the day & the same thing is now happening to them. Over the years, most all of the smaller local department store chains were done in by KMart & WalMart. Now KMart is almost gone & in time, eventually Wally Mart will go. F.W. Woolworth was huge, but they have been gone for at least 20 years & that was before the computer age.

Bad management decisions are a major factor, but as in nature, the big fish eat the smaller fish & that's what's happening with all these retailers.
Smiley Bingo Cusin Eddy from Lampoon Vacation.jpg

Getting killed off by their own org. business model
'not brick & motor', instead of mail order, it's the internet

I was in Sears today, (Not closing yet) and it was weird not seeing any Auto Dept. No Oil, No Diehard Car Batteries Nothing .They have plastic Garden sheds in the former Auto Dept. The Auto service closed 2 years ago. Was in Sears on Black Friday and it was busier than I expected. I know they sold the Craftsman name to Stanley. But I believe they still own Kenmore and Diehard names.

I worked for Sears as a Service Adviser when I got out of the USAF for a few years. Bought a bunch of tools because we got a BIG discount. Our local Sears is closing. Sad to see it go.

I was in Sears today, (Not closing yet) and it was weird not seeing any Auto Dept. No Oil, No Diehard Car Batteries Nothing .They have plastic Garden sheds in the former Auto Dept. The Auto service closed 2 years ago. Was in Sears on Black Friday and it was busier than I expected. I know they sold the Craftsman name to Stanley. But I believe they still own Kenmore and Diehard names.
No problem with getting a DieHard battery here, even though Sears no longer exists in Canada. Previously, all the Sears auto centers around here turned into Kal Tire, and Kal Tire still has DieHard batteries. https://www.kaltire.com/en/car-battery/

Orchard Supply is owned by Sears too
both OS & Sears have closed here now
our Sears store was a small store for electronics,
never much of a store,
the Orchard Supply up here, was a nice big store,
great hardware selections, chrome & stainless,
odd ball stuff too...
I use to go to one OS in Concord too...
I'll miss that OS store here...

Lowes I think drove them both out...
it's a 'big **** store', crap hardware,
not any real car related hardware, "it's cheap **** usually"
they do have some nice tools selection...

But;
You have to remain competitive...

I do remember going to Sears in Sun Valley Mall Concord Ca.
or Sunrise mall in Sacramento Ca. all the time
until I moved to Sonora area...

Have a bunch of old Craftsman tools
mechanic, hand or power tools, from my step dad & my own...

The new Craftsman brand, isn't the same...

Orchard Supply WAS owned by Sears, then Sears Holdings which was formed when KMart bought Sears, then they sold OS to Lowe's who then closed it.

No more "Brick and Mortar"
This young Millennial generation can't even drive a Car!
Everything is "On Line"

Auto Transport Service
Back