• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seat belts

rrTor-Red

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:11 PM
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to install the seat belts in my 71 RR with orange and black seats and it has a "Buddy Seat". Does that "Buddy Seat" gets a seat belt or not? I think not. There is a lap belt for the driver and passenger, and a "shoulder belt" for both. So, there is 2 separate receptacles for those, correct? Also, with that for the rear seats, is there 3 in the back or 2 for the back? Hope this makes sense.

Thanks!

Tipically for 71 you get two female belts on each bucket, one for lap the other one for shoulder.

Buddy seat gets also seatbelt just for lap. So will get 3 female ends on passenger side, one of them for the buddy seat

Rear bench gets 3 lap belts... yes, middle one gets its own too.

The only retractable belts on 71 are the laps for buckets as far I recall.
(EDITING, NOT JUST FOR BUCKETS, BUT I MEANT, FOR FRONT OUTER OCCUPANTS, BECAUSE FRONT BENCH ALSO GET RETRACTORS THERE )

On 72 this setup changed being also outer rear bench belts retractable. But middle seat ( buddy seat and center rear ) allways got a non retractable belt.

Some other changes were made for 72.

Last edited:
I think I understand this confusing subject now, Nacho. Lets see if I understand:

If in the drivers seat, on your right side hip, it will be configured: 3 total female receptacles (1 for driver's lap, shoulder, and "Buddy Seat")

If in passenger seat, left side hip area, it is configured: 1 male end ("Buddy seat", then 2 female receptacles (lap and shoulder). I will not be using the shoulder belts for obvious reasons.

Back seat: If I put the 3rd (middle) belt in, is there a right and wrong configuration? I know where the male ends go, for the side of the car but talking about the center.

Thanks!

TIPICALLY on all cars the female end goes on right side so you fasten the seatbelt from left to right, EXCEPT for passenger side where that's not posible for obvious reasons. It applies te same on rear bench... BUT 71s are confusing for me.

Previous years are with the long belt wrapping you and getting the female buckle on the belt you fasten while the male is fixed, but I allways have thought since 71 this changed to the male on the long belt and female on the fixed belt.

There is a thread somewhere, dunno of here or at dodgecharger.com where I posted detailed pics of all these setups on every 3rd gen year. However the rear bench for 71 got me some confused on the pic I found for some reason what I can't recall right now.

Last edited:
Look at this 71 with bench. It gets 3 female on right side of the center occupant. Male on left side of center occupant

dodge_charger_super_bee_hemi_11.jpg

For some reason it seems it got missed one of the female ends for driver

Now, looking at this Charger 71 SE rear bench. It seems the male/female belt configuration continues the same from 60s cars with the male on the fixed belt end? This is what got me confused. I'm sure about 72 and later where all fixed belts are female, but 71 allways got me confused

QSv8Y1xPsNhzDDe-tzQLO_xU4zxDm2Xh-JujXYT-jiQXV4de8ll2up_AXSzBwTmqq8-bgiRTlxoNTFrHdO-SEiS0dEr25ctg.jpg

I don't understand being front and rear diff on the fixed belt terminal!

Even less IF the center front gets the same configuration than rear on this pic with the male on the fixed belt, but outers are reversed!

Is hard to find pics were belts are shown.

Last edited:
Look at this 71 Charger. Is on the way you described, so it seems the front center position fastens opposite to the outers, with the adjustable belt being female like rear bench on previous post ( and 60s cars ). Is a bench car, but I guess the same for buddy seat!

https://www.mecum.com/lots/DA0919-383603/1971-dodge-charger-super-bee/

BUT still no matter which belt gets the male or female, in any case, for front and rear the belt fastens from left to right, so the fixed belt is on right side of the occupants... except as mentioned for passenger side for obvious reasons.

So I guess if your belts setup gets the adjustable belt on female, you got it right on your reply.

However the brown interior pic I posted previously shows the male end on the left side hip of center, while the female belt on its right side. Reversed form this car on Mecum.

I found a Pilot car Charger 71 R/T with buddy seat ( between Mecum auctions ), but once again belts are not shown clearly.

Sorry, I allways show Charger pics and not Plymouths because is what I allways search LOL. MENTALLY I'm programed to search for Charger, being an owner LOL

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back