• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

seized,split,numbers matching 383 boat anchor.

Charg68

Local time
9:10 AM
Reaction score
O.K so I got the two seized pistons out of my 383 without cracking a cylinder wall.Took the block in to get hot tanked and bored.These two cylinders were very rust pitted.They magnafluxed the block and it is split in two places in the water jacket in the oil gallery.So I dropped it off today to get repaired,then I will get it bored out .40 thousands.This should make it close to 400ci.My question is; which cam?Standard bearings,rebuilt ported original heads,headers,edelbrock 750cfm carb,msd distributor,edelbrock performer intake.What lift can I go up to on the cam without it being a dog off the line? I am keeping the stock convertor and it has a 3:23 rear diff.I would like to try mopars purple cam with .450/.458,but they are backordered with no delivery date.edelbrock has a cam with .420/.442.Should I wait for the mopar one or get the edelbrock cam or something else?

You will want to build around your requirement for a stock converter and the 3.23's going in a 3700 lb B body (assuming that's what you're building). Your initial cam thoughts are good and above all you need to match your cam to the compression. If you will run 8.5:1 you can get cams that are designed to build cylinder pressure and make a low CR engine pretty peppy. If you have about 9.5:1 you can get a cam with a later intake closing point but not so much to loose your cylinder pressure. Forget lift. It's the intake closing point that will make or break your combo. What gas do you plan to run? 87 R+M/2 is good for 150-160 PSI of cylinder pressure (cranking compression). The .450/.458 cam is the factory Magnum grind but it was designed for 10:1 CR. You may consider one of the Eddy cam packages designed for around 9:1 CR. I installed one in an FE Ford and it was fantastic. Lots of mid range and great vacuum.

Thanks,I guess I'll have 9:5 to 1,so I'll go with the edelbrock.Beside that I can get it now and not wait.Running with 89 octane gas.Just a stock 68 charger for cruising.

Auto Transport Service
Back