• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Selfmade shackles

Local time
7:25 AM
Reaction score
Hi! I wanted to order shackles from MC Bay Performance to deal with the rear tire rub. But because I live nearley on the other side of the world I dont like to pay for four pieces of steel 200$ just for delivery alone… have some of you guys made them by yourselves? Which steel y‘all recommend to handle the weight and torque?

Thanks!

I did for my 1969 Firebird 400 (w/455). Been running it for 30+ years with no issues. I just measured and I used 1/4 steel.

I "helped" my old boss build some for his Bronco, we used scrap tubing, 1/4", boxed them, poly bushings and powder coat. He managed an off-road shop and made his own forever.

As far as building normal straight shackle a mild steel flat bar will be fine. However if were building a set for myself I would probably go overkill and order 4140 flat bar.

Tom

Auto Transport Service
Back