• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sending Unit - Fuel Gauge

Seems everyone has a problem with this. I bought a meter match. But pulled my sending unit out and had to bend it closer to the front of the tank so the pickup would be able to get all the fuel in the tank. Now it read's fine.

I gave up on the reproduction sending units and ordered a vertical aftermarket unit. It’s going in a stainless reproduction tank so I’ll have to modify the tank to fit but hopefully it’ll work better than those crappy repops.

I bought an autometer 73-10 ohm fuel gauge thinking if it was designed for linear input maybe it would work with the aftermarket senders? I haven't been able to try it yet.

Seems everyone has a problem with this. I bought a meter match. But pulled my sending unit out and had to bend it closer to the front of the tank so the pickup would be able to get all the fuel in the tank. Now it read's fine.
Did you end up using the meter match even after bending the pickup tube?
My 67 has the same 1/2 tank reading when full, good grounds , pickup to fuel line bridge ground strap and also a tank flange to frame ground added. , new tank and of course the infamous repop sender.

Interested to hear if the meter match worked and if so, is the gauge you're using linear or non-linear? I'm shopping now and want to do it right the first time.

My tank is showing as it should. Full on gauge and fill up at about a quarter of a tank. Did have to bend my sending unit in the tank so it would pick up like it should. Due to having my car jacked up in the rear a bit. After market fuel tank also. Never installed the meter match still have it on my table. LOL.

My tank is showing as it should. Full on gauge and fill up at about a quarter of a tank. Did have to bend my sending unit in the tank so it would pick up like it should. Due to having my car jacked up in the rear a bit. After market fuel tank also. Never installed the meter match still have it on my table. LOL.
This is great information as I now have 2 of these tanks and sending units in my cars. Nothing irritates me more than an inaccurate fuel gauge. I'll play with the one on the coronet when I convert the pick up over to an EFI intank pump.

Auto Transport Service
Back