• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sending unit orientation

nutz4spd

Local time
10:29 PM
Reaction score
Is the tube on the sending unit supposed to point up or down? Mine is pointing right at the trunk and the hose kinks every time I put the tank up. The previous owner had the line running into the trunk where the fuel pump was but even if I were to try to connect it to the factory line to the left it can't make a 90 degree turn.

20230219_110608.jpg

The tank has a notch and the sender has a tab that fits into the notch. If it is not set correctly the sender will not work correctly.

What car do you have? They sender and line are usually pointing righ at each other so the hose is mostly straight.

It will only go in one direction! If you try to turn it 180 degrees the pickup will be at the top of the tank and the round flat disc wil never sit flat against the tank to install the lock ring.

Last edited:
I believe the factory sending unit nipple points straight out. Yours has a 90 degree bend?

It's a 62 dart. The tabs on the unit line up with the tank. This doesn't make sense to me. Guess I could just cut it to make it straight. Would be even better if it pointed to the right...

20230219_121222.jpg

20230219_121206.jpg

20230219_121530.jpg

Last edited:
Must be a unit for a different year or model that just happens to fit. It's made to only fit one way so the float and pickup are correctly oriented.
Then I think I'll just "straighten" the nipple. Eventually I may buy a correct one, but the gauge works so I don't see the need to replace it.

Auto Transport Service
Back