• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seperating the oil pump from the block

eagleone1983

Local time
6:16 PM
Reaction score
I'm having trouble getting the oil pump seperated from the block on my '69 Runner. The one off the 383 on the engine stand came of easy but the one in the car is giving me problems. I don't really have room to beat it with a hammer and I've been trying to use leverage against the oil filter to pry it off but nothing seems to be working. Any body have any tips for me?

First....make sure you've got all the bolts out. (kinda goes without saying but one kinda hides) If the filter is still on it you can grab it and use it to turn/break the pump loose from the block. Once loose it should come off.

All the bolts are out but the top two I left in so that once it breaks loose it doesn't fall on my hand or something. I'll try taking them all the way out so I can try and turn the pump with the filter.

Oops I forgot to ask...It's just 4 bolts, correct?

Auto Transport Service
Back