• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Septic tank outlet leak

Leech field is perfectly fine, it’s only dirt and no trees or grass. The inlet side is fine as I don’t have wet ground on that side. It hasn’t leaked since I dug up the dirt and got everything clean. So all the laundry, dishes, showers and general water use hasn’t effected it, it’s dryish, meaning the water that was in the dirt/sand the color/texture hasn’t changed.

How about adding some butyl inside/around the outlet pipe before hydraulic cement? I have used hydraulic cement before, it does kick off quickly.

Last edited:
MoparLeo was correct. In the State of Commiefornia, certain aspects of a new house of covered for 10 years. Septic system is one of them “--Plumbing and sewage systems will be installed in such a way as to not leak or excessively corrode.”

So I’m waiting till Monday to get this resolved. If the company fails to take care of this, I will need to take the following action……..
For a claim, homeowners have only to prove that ""in accordance with the applicable evidentiary standard,that the home does not
meet the applicable standard, subject to the affirmative defenses set forth in Section 945.5."
Once this claim is established, the homeowner or their legal representation must send a written notice to the builder/contractor with contact information and claim details. The builder then has 30 days to come up with specifications, maintenance plans, and calculations relevant to the claim. The builder has a set amount of time to respond that the claim has been received and has the right to inspect the construction.
Many times, the builder offers to repair the damage, but if this does not occur, the issue can be taken to Small Claims Court or the CA Contractors' State Licensing Board. This is one reason it is suggested that all prospective contractors are first assessed to see if their license is current and valid. If the claim is taken to court, CA civil law states "as to any claims involving a detached single-family home, the homeowner's right to the reasonable value of repairing any nonconformity is limited to the repair costs, or the diminution in current value of the home caused by the
nonconformity, whichever is less" (section 943 b).

That’s where I’m at, Monday can’t come soon enough.

I have built homes from the ground up and done every aspect of the building. 1 year and 1 month old, that's his job to fix it. That's not right. Do like I do, get hold of him, kill him with kindness and if that doesn't work, put a lawyer on the job.

It is always best to go to the builder first. Be it a house or a motor. Once you open it up and try to repair it yourself it is yours.
I am in California and had a problem with tiles coming off the shower in the master bath. Home was 7 years old. Contacted the State Contractors License board. And my home owners insurance. Turns out they used standard dry wall and not green board in the showers. Had all the showers (3) stripped if tile and drywall. And rebuilt to code. Homeowners policy fixed it and they went after the builders bond.
Use the system.

Monday, they get the nice phone call. Hopefully that’s all I need.

MoparLeo was correct. In the State of Commiefornia, certain aspects of a new house of covered for 10 years. Septic system is one of them “--Plumbing and sewage systems will be installed in such a way as to not leak or excessively corrode.”

So I’m waiting till Monday to get this resolved. If the company fails to take care of this, I will need to take the following action……..
For a claim, homeowners have only to prove that ""in accordance with the applicable evidentiary standard,that the home does not
meet the applicable standard, subject to the affirmative defenses set forth in Section 945.5."
Once this claim is established, the homeowner or their legal representation must send a written notice to the builder/contractor with contact information and claim details. The builder then has 30 days to come up with specifications, maintenance plans, and calculations relevant to the claim. The builder has a set amount of time to respond that the claim has been received and has the right to inspect the construction.
Many times, the builder offers to repair the damage, but if this does not occur, the issue can be taken to Small Claims Court or the CA Contractors' State Licensing Board. This is one reason it is suggested that all prospective contractors are first assessed to see if their license is current and valid. If the claim is taken to court, CA civil law states "as to any claims involving a detached single-family home, the homeowner's right to the reasonable value of repairing any nonconformity is limited to the repair costs, or the diminution in current value of the home caused by the
nonconformity, whichever is less" (section 943 b).

That’s where I’m at, Monday can’t come soon enough.
Just a heads up. The state board is useless at mammaries on a boar. BUT, you have to go through them if you file against the contractor. We are on year 2 or so with our claim against the weed who we used to do the garage build. We filed through the state first, like they say, but it was several months before we heard from them and then longer still for them to do their investigation then even more time till we heard back. We did hire an attorney and next June we are set for our arbitration hearing. Going after him for fraud. The state board is funded by contractors so its like the medical and other boards looking out for their own. If you don't hear anything back by the first of the week, I would just start off with an attorney to get some action going. My wife did some searches on the web and state board site to see if there were any marks against this clown but it was all clean. What they don't and won't tell you is if there were issues, judgement and settlements against them. Those can be found by the attorney or someone crafty enough to dig up the dirt. Turns out our wanker had multiple issues.

I’m gonna talk to builder on Monday. If I don’t get what is needed, meaning the repair, I’ll go straight to small claims court. I won’t screw around with the State Board.

Keep in mind that you'll have to go after the septic installer. The septic system was most likely subcontracted, but the contractor would be the place to start.

If the installer is reputable, he will probably step up as the repair is probably an hour job and not worth fighting.

I called the plumber listed in my Home Owners package, he said the builder did the septic, he just did the house plumbing.

This might all be nothing for all I know. The Builder might say, absolutely, sending someone out right now. That would be great!

Called as d left a message with the builder twice this morning, 1 @ 8:30 the other @10:45. Starting to get the feeling he doesn’t want to talk to me.

Called a plumbing supply place and they don’t carry any seals but did give me the place that builds the concrete septic tanks in Templeton. Called, got to talk with owner, he knows our house, it’s his tank, but the builder installed it. He said the ground moved at some point, and that caused the seal to not seal. He suggest the old school way of hydraulic cement or new school spray foam for constant wet areas. He said he does only hydraulic cement, I’ll take his advice. He said wait till Wednesday as we got rain today/tomorrow, pump out the liquid to get it below the seal and then use a hose to clean everything off. Then start packing the hole. Leave everything as is for a couple days and check it periodically to make sure it’s not leaking, then burry it.

I’m keeping track of my calls and the amount of time I have in this adventure cause I’m taking the SOB to Small Claims Court if he doesn’t call me back by Wednesday AM cause that when I’m starting to fix it.

Builder called a few minutes ago. He asked what’s going on with the leak, told him, he said he will have someone come Wednesday if it’s not raining or Friday cause it’s supposed to rain on Thursday and they’ll fix it. I said thanks. So hopefully by Friday, it’ll be fixed.

Forgot to add that he said they will be using Henry’s roofing tar.

Last edited:
The guy showed up today and fixed the leak. He did use Henry’s wet patch tar, 2 full tubes. I’ll let sit open for a day or 2 to make sure it’s not leaking and if it’s good, I’ll fill the hole.

Called, got to talk with owner, he knows our house, it’s his tank, but the builder installed it. He said the ground moved at some point, and that caused the seal to not seal.

The guy showed up today and fixed the leak. He did use Henry’s wet patch tar, 2 full tubes. I’ll let sit open for a day or 2 to make sure it’s not leaking and if it’s good, I’ll fill the hole.

And then in a couple weeks after it's fixed you'll get a quake and **** it all up again. Sorry, couldn't resist, but you know the threat is real for you! I'm on a septic too, I hope I never have problems like you. Good Luck

Hopefully the quake swallows the house!

Auto Transport Service
Back