• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Setting axle end play on a 8 3/4

I changed out my axles and installed a 742 third member 3.91gears and alburn pois trac with Dr diff axles. Didn't know about having to set axle end play. Until watching some videos on youtub.

There’s an adjuster on the right side and a button that passes through the differential that allows the right axle to push on the left. This allows you to adjust both sides simultaneously with one adjuster. If my fading memory serves me correctly, the end play is like .010-.015, double check the manual to be sure . Or if you are a GYC fan, Mark likes to set them at .200-.500 ‍‍lol. Make sure you grease them with heavy duty “no fling” grease like Lucas xtra heavy duty ( green label tub). The tapered bearings will last about 75k miles before they burn up without occasional re-greasing. I watched my dad learn this the hard way more than once growing up.

Last edited:
After you get proper end play, you need to rotate the axles forward and back, whack the centers with a dead blow back and forth, rotate again then recheck the play. Repeat as needed.

I bring side play to zero, like ckessel idea to wack axle ends. After wack ends tighten adjuster if any side play. This seats bearings in housing, then back off adjuster to get side play per factory spec.

Need both rear wheels off the ground.

do you have a service manual? That is the best instructions for this Adjustment. It is not nearly as difficult as the mopar forums have made it since the internet started.

Yes sir I do have a manual. My problem is I ordered Dr. Diff axles with green bearings already installed didn't come with adjuster on it . Checked the end play and it .010 to .012. Wasn't aware of the adjuster until I was watching you tube

There shouldn’t be much end play play with green bearings but there has to be some or u wouldn’t get the snap ring in or out if u had to. I think ur good to go. Another possibility is that there is 2 shim gaskets between the brake backing plate and the housing end. May be able to remove 1. Kim

Thank you guys for the advice. And the E manual. Iam glade you don't need the adjusters with the green bearings. I really didn't want to take both of them apart.

Yes sir I do have a manual. My problem is I ordered Dr. Diff axles with green bearings already installed didn't come with adjuster on it . Checked the end play and it .010 to .012. Wasn't aware of the adjuster until I was watching you tube
Not to bust on you but leaving out you have green bearings makes the answers more difficult. Since you have side play guess you don't need to remove thrust button in sure-grip assuming you have one.

Ther
There is no need to adjust the endplay with green bearings, but you do have to remove the thrust button from the center section on most axles using green bearings.

With green bearings you don't use the adjusters. Just a plate to hold the axles in the housing. Green bearings are ball bearings, stock are tapered bearings, tapered bearings require preload to work correctly, the adjuster is to provide preload, just like when you tighten the nut on a front wheel bearing which are also tapered bearings.

Ther

There is no need to adjust the endplay with green bearings, but you do have to remove the thrust button from the center section on most axles using green bearings.
Cass says: No need to remove the thrust block/buttons with the Doctor Diff green bearings and or axles. Kim

Not to bust on you but leaving out you have green bearings makes the answers more difficult. Since you have side play guess you don't need to remove thrust button in sure-grip assuming you have one.
I due have one but I've never seen bottoms in that third member. Even when I had it gone through

Auto Transport Service
Back