• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

She's the engineer behind eye-popping invention in GM's newest SUVs

Richard Cranium

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:57 PM
Reaction score
OMG really?! All these years I've resisted buying an SUV because of those damn consoles but now, whoopee, what a great invention!!! Why didn't anyone else come up with that?
Genius, pure genius!!!

In February 2017, General Motors engineering department bosses called a hush-hush meeting with select engineers.

One of the design engineers at the meeting was Alex Archer, then 24 and two years out of college. She had no idea what the meeting was about or that it would springboard her career.

"They told us to please come up with this invention because we want to incorporate it in our next big SUVs," said Archer.

Drumroll please.

The invention was a power-sliding center console. It's the first storage console to be motorized. It can form different configurations, has a hidden compartment, extra storage and can convert to an armrest.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/new...tion-in-gms-newest-suvs/ar-BBZQovP?li=BBnb4R5

Wow! Now that is an excellent read and congrats are in order for the 26 YO young lady!
025CCA40-AC68-4706-9921-D6E1153AA7F6.jpeg

I thought it was because she wanted to sit next to her boyfriend, the way cowgirls do in trucks.

All the GM trucks are ugly as a mud fence with their blunt front ends.
Aerodynamics ? [ deleted inappropriate text ] I'm coming through anyways....

aero.jpg

How in the world did we function without this?
If trucks weren't already overpriced.

If trucks weren't already overpriced.
THIS!
(I have a used 2005 H2..bought it in 2009 with only 18,000 miles on the clock. $58k sticker brand new, I got it for $24k)
I'm looking for a turbo diesel SUV, 4WD, for towing. I'd take a Ram Mega Cab as a consolation, but I'd really like to have a LOT of interior space, but with a low floor, like my Hummer or what I really want, a turbo diesel 4WD Ford Excursion. Have I missed anything? Is there a turbo diesel 4WD van??

Many people just have to have the next gadget. It's good that a big company is utilizing the younger folks for ideas. The young are the next demographic after all...

A puppet show plain and simple. Have you ever seen such a press release for something that is ten times more important or creative?

Well. Good thing I hate new cars. I see a 68 in my future with roll up windows a split bench front seat. And alot of highway driving. :D

My wife's 2017 Ford Escape Titanium? I like the black leather seats...….the rest I could care less about.

When it breaks in 3 years ( and it will, it's made by bean counting GM) and the repair bill is 4 figures...

I may be mistaken, but I believe that manufacturers are now only required to provide OEM parts for 5yrs after manufacture.

If this is the case, then acquiring parts like this after warranty may be an issue if the design doesn't survive more than an iteration or two.

It's all good until some kid gets their head stuck in it . Although the cameras seeing around the trailers and hitch are good. I'm glad they took our semi stuff and incorporated it. Now Mopar should get that tech too.

Just another piece of crap to quit working way too early. Nice idea though.

THIS!
(I have a used 2005 H2..bought it in 2009 with only 18,000 miles on the clock. $58k sticker brand new, I got it for $24k)
I'm looking for a turbo diesel SUV, 4WD, for towing. I'd take a Ram Mega Cab as a consolation, but I'd really like to have a LOT of interior space, but with a low floor, like my Hummer or what I really want, a turbo diesel 4WD Ford Excursion. Have I missed anything? Is there a turbo diesel 4WD van??
Last I knew you can special order a ford excursion or a yukon/suburban with a diesel.

Auto Transport Service
Back