• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shifter Handles

Davek73

Local time
1:10 PM
Reaction score
I have a 73 Charger which I changed from a column shifter to floor shifter and console. The problem is i'm not sure what it came out of. It fits fine, the linkage needs some adjusting and after a long search finally got the kick down linkage for a big block on e-bay (switched from a 318) the shifter handle I have is junk and I want to get the Pistol Grip Shifter. How do I know which one I need. The T handle or Slapstick. The one on it is a T handle with a button on the side. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks all, Dave

Isn't that T-handle shifter also referred to as a slapstick? And can you even get a pistol grip for an automatic? I've seen them custom made I believe but I don't think I've seen any for sale

Re/Pistol Grip

That's what I thought they were one in the same. Year One has Pistol Grip Shifters for automatic tranny's. They have two listed one for slapstick and one for t handles. I do not want to order the wrong one and am confused as to what to get. They have wood grain grips and are very cool. Hope this helps to get the right one.

Best I recall the original round ball (button on top) auto shifter wasn't a slap stick.

You want to know what you have, slap it. Pit it in first, then try to "slap" it in to second without pressing the button, then on to "D".

Can't do it? It's not a slap stick

That makes a lot of sense. The handle I have now has a button on the left side of the T. It was cracked and the linkage sloppy. I had to use the button for park and to move it down. "Sometimes" it would just move without the button depressed and sometimes not. So you see my problem. Thanks for responding runner you have answered several of my posts w/good advice. Any more help would be greatly appreciated and everyone else as well! Dave

Always glad to help. You have a pic of the mechanism from the left side?

Had the same prob with a '72. The Factory "T" handle also called "Slapstick" is a piece of junk. Tried finding one at Chrysler's at Carlisle one year, not a one in the whole place! There were "pistol" grip replacements there but they are pretty expensive. They look just like the four speed shifters. I was going to have one "machined" out of aluminum but ended up selling the car...

Always glad to help. You have a pic of the mechanism from the left side?

No sure don't. I'm a bit stuck in the 70's and between working/fishing it does not leave me a lot of extra time. I suppose I should just get off my backside and learn how to do that (pics). I am waiting for the kickdown linkage I found on ebay to arrive. My first purchase there. The bidding thing was stressful and I learned to not even bother until the last few minutes to bid. You have to wait and be available to do so right before the bidding ends. I wound up paying $183.00 for it including shipping.So when that comes and get it in then on to the shifter. Im pretty sure the one I need is the one with the button like you said. Tks again

auotmatic pistol grip

if you want an auto matic pistol grip duncan makes the best looking one

http://www.duncan-motor-sports.com/3.html

P8071605dcdc.JPG

Had the same prob with a '72. The Factory "T" handle also called "Slapstick" is a piece of junk. Tried finding one at Chrysler's at Carlisle one year, not a one in the whole place! There were "pistol" grip replacements there but they are pretty expensive. They look just like the four speed shifters. I was going to have one "machined" out of aluminum but ended up selling the car...

Your right they are. They are not made very well, and original ones are almost non-existent. SO pistol grip here I go, if I order the wrong one i will send it back and get the other one. Year one has them for $195.00 plus shipping. Part of the fun of loving these cars and being "a dummy" :) Like 69 runner said if it moves with no button then it must be a true slapstick. It does both! Hope i live long enough to get this puppy rollin!!!

Do I need to order the gate with it or can I use my existing one and just change the arm? Also are the grips included? I don't see if they are or not. It does look good. Does it work smooth with no issues? Tks for your help and the pics! Is yours a 69?

Auto Transport Service
Back