• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shock Absorber Recommendations?

Ron H

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:06 AM
Reaction score
As I'll be repacking the front bearings on my '63, figured it would be a time to replace the shocks. I've searched some previous posts on this subject and see Bilstein's' suggested a few times. Any additional recommendations or confirmations here before I make the selection? Thanks

Depends on your intended use and the frequency/longevity of the vehicle's use. From infrequent/occasional light use, to every-day harsh hard-driving use.

I use plain old Monroe shocks. They equal or exceed stock shocks.

Depends on your intended use and the frequency/longevity of the vehicle's use. From infrequent/occasional light use, to every-day harsh hard-driving use.
If I'm lucky might drive it 1000-1200 miles a year...couple of years were under 500; but the shocks are pert near 20 years old. Car shows and cruising out in the country with a few buds is about it.

Are they leaking? When you bounce the front end, does make a couple of more up and down movements, or does it stop immediately? If they are not leaking and front end movement stops immediately, they are good. I go by the old adage that if it's not broke, don't fix it.

It would all depend on what kind of ride you want and your budget. Based on your previous post above a good quality shock like a Bilstein would last you a number of years and be a good investment in overall ride quality. Opinions and options are across the board on this forum. You will find many that are content with the budget minded Monroe, others like the KYB's but they do have the reputation in being stiff, and the bilsteins that are the best of both worlds meaning a performance shock with a quality ride. A Final option would be something like a Viking shock that is double adjustable and can be tailored to cruising or street performance valving and be fine tuned to your liking.

James From
PST

If I'm lucky might drive it 1000-1200 miles a year...couple of years were under 500; but the shocks are pert near 20 years old. Car shows and cruising out in the country with a few buds is about it.
Then don't waste your money. Monroe or Gabriel will do just fine. Mine have been in one of my cars a dozen years. Don't go knee deep in the hoopla.

Engineers are paid to design the optimal
suspension for your everyday family car on up
to what it takes to run the Baja. Since you're
obviously not going to run across the barren
desert dirt track, there is absolutely nothing
wrong with running a factory shock. They're
designed for your car. Too many get caught
up in the marketing hype. Granted, there are
those that make changes to their cars that
necessities a more progressive shock, or
place their car in a different environment
from factory ie...dragracing. If your intentions
are to drive it like it came off the showroom
floor, go stock. Your shocks on a factory
suspended car are tuned to your springs
and the sprung weight of the car.
Save your $ and go with what Ma Mopar
recommends.

Last edited:
Bilstein. Used to be about $100 a piece. Worth it. Ride quality and handling.

Appreciate the advice gents. My '63 Ply has had some upgrades sway bar (front), FFII, disks, HD leafs, etc. but never replaced the front shocks...just seems two decades old should be replaced...but no expert.

The shocks on my 95 Dakota finally gave up the bushings so had to replace them and the surprising part was that they were original! They did have some short 'free' spots in the action when compressing and extending them by hand but they still worked pretty decently. Anyways, I replaced them with Monroe's and upgraded just one step up from the bottom line shock and wish I had gone up one more step.

On my 97 2500 club cab long bed diesel, Bilsteins were installed and I like them things! The ride isn't harsh but they control the front end well. I don't like my vehicles to be stiff but also don't like going through a dip and then the front end bouncing up and down and again. It needs to settle down the first time....

I use plain old Monroe shocks. They equal or exceed stock shocks.

I use NOS Monroe Super 500 shocks on the GTX. Origional developed for NASCAR racing. VERY FIRM, almost harsh ride....but this is what I wanted. Not made any longer but can be found on EBay and the internet....
BOB RENTON

I use NOS Monroe Super 500 shocks on the GTX. Origional developed for NASCAR racing. VERY FIRM, almost harsh ride....but this is what I wanted. Not made any longer but can be found on EBay and the internet....
BOB RENTON

I installed bilsteins last summer, absolutely noticeable difference immediately. I love them and they're worth the $400

It would all depend on what kind of ride you want and your budget. Based on your previous post above a good quality shock like a Bilstein would last you a number of years and be a good investment in overall ride quality. Opinions and options are across the board on this forum. You will find many that are content with the budget minded Monroe, others like the KYB's but they do have the reputation in being stiff, and the bilsteins that are the best of both worlds meaning a performance shock with a quality ride. A Final option would be something like a Viking shock that is double adjustable and can be tailored to cruising or street performance valving and be fine tuned to your liking.

James From
PST
一PST can i and how to order the bilstein thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back