• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shock

WOW! What a ****-storm I started! O.K. guys, a t-w-e-l-v-e volt automotive battery will not electrocute

you or shock you at all because your body has too much resistance to allow the low voltage to complete the circuit.

It has the amperage, but the voltage is what "pushes" the electrons. The electrons can't get through the high

resistance, so there's no feel of a shock. The more the voltage goes up, the resistance goes down.

Dat's what I'm talkin about!

12v ain’t nothing?? Yeah, I X’d also. Try working on trailer light wiring in a rain storm on the side of the road with 4 semi batteries in parallel(amps!); it won’t freeze your arm up, but it’ll wake you up! Back of arm is kinda tender anyway so even 12v will make you say WTH!

Ya I have 4 scars on my knuckles & thumb where 277 decided to kiss me along with 20 something 2x4 light fixtures about 25yrs ago....

Working in a hospital, changing a 227 ballast in the hallway outside the operating rooms, live, in the dark. While unscrewing a wirenut I hear a tic, tic, tic on the floor. Yep it was the wirenut! Boy did I back down that ladder in a hurry.

Ohm's Law says: The current in a circuit is directly proportional to the applied voltage and inversely proportional to the amount of resistance. This means that if the voltage goes up, the current flow will go up, and vice versa. Also, as the resistance goes up, the current goes down, and vice versa.

Ohm's Law says: The current in a circuit is directly proportional to the applied voltage and inversely proportional to the amount of resistance. This means that if the voltage goes up, the current flow will go up, and vice versa. Also, as the resistance goes up, the current goes down, and vice versa.
I think I knew Ohm’s law at 12yrs.old became my dad did tv repair as a side job. Forgot most of that,BUT I remember one thing- voltage can still wake you up or hurt,badly!

Working in a hospital, changing a 227 ballast in the hallway outside the operating rooms, live, in the dark. While unscrewing a wirenut I hear a tic, tic, tic on the floor. Yep it was the wirenut! Boy did I back down that ladder in a hurry.
Same here 277v to the side of the face, off lighting circuit changing ballets.

Hit with 1760 Vac off the power line when I was 16. Somehow survived, but believe me I was laying in the ditch for 10 minutes before I was able to crawl across the lawn to sit on the porch for another half hour. Close one that was.

Oh come on Steve, admit it. It wasn't the car at all, you just got out of the seat that you recently put wool seat covers on! Static discharge from You to the car. LOL I gotta try that myself, the spark might stimulate some hair growth! :D

LOL, maybe he was running in corduroys before working on his car???!!!

Your car told you that there is a need for better grounding. Cowl to engine, and a negative from the radiator support to the battery negative should do it.

Trust me I know Ohms law well as Pythagorean theory. P/EI
Tell me what humans are made up of rubber, ceramics, water??? Last time I checked water conducts... Although some say D.I water will not...but none us us are that pure...

Last edited:
You guys that have posted stories about getting bit by 277... I would give you all a 'LIKE', but I know I sure as hell didn't LIKE it when it's happened to me lol!

Trust me I know Ohms law well as Well a Pythagorean theory. P/E
Tell me what humans are made up of rubber, ceramics, water??? Last time I checked water conducts... Although some say D.I water will not...but none us us are that pure...
Well some of us are pretty 'salty' hehehe

Last edited:
It was me Steve. I saw that you already had your foot in a bucket of water, and I simply plugged in the extension cord of the trouble light you were holding. Thought maybe I could shock you into more conservative ways.

KIDDING Steve.

WOW! What a ****-storm I started! O.K. guys, a t-w-e-l-v-e volt automotive battery will not electrocute

you or shock you at all because your body has too much resistance to allow the low voltage to complete the circuit.

It has the amperage, but the voltage is what "pushes" the electrons. The electrons can't get through the high

resistance, so there's no feel of a shock. The more the voltage goes up, the resistance goes down.

Dat's what I'm talkin about!
You think not???? It takes less than1/100th of an amp to stop your heart.
I tell you what go disconnect the ground hold the terminal with one hand tightly and grab the lead with the other while your hands are nice and sweaty and go have some one try to start the car...it's only 12v after all...probably more like 11.3...
Or to those that think dc voltage doesn't shock...go set a ground lead off of a DC welder in your lap, preferably on your crotch, place your elbows on the welding table and strike an arc....I dare ya... Please have someone there recording for all of us dumb asses....

Been zapped before by a Lincoln cracker box doing a quick weld....but dumbass me was doing it bare foot. Got a wake up call with 110 before too trying to swap out a light fixture live but I did wire up my own shop myself and was successful! :D No worries on that since the main line wasn't live yet.

Been zapped before by a Lincoln cracker box doing a quick weld....but dumbass me was doing it bare foot. Got a wake up call with 110 before too trying to swap out a light fixture live but I did wire up my own shop myself and was successful! :D No worries on that since the main line wasn't live yet.
20180806_194307.jpg

:lol:

Red x phantom????
I red x'ed him..wasn't hiding it shows my name when you click on the X.and I left my rebuttal/reply.
Just going off of what Steve said, I know hes a bad *** steel worker but if it was an ignition jolt it would have been more than a " pinch " as described. 40-50kv would have caused him to yank his arm back in pain that he would feel in his toes and leave a metal taste in his mouth...thats just physics. No one can control their muscle reflexes at that level.
A pinch, tingle is just battery voltage going to ground, been there done that ignition on/off and in accessory...
Has to be ignition spark. You would not feel D.C. voltage of 12 Volts. You have an insulation breakdown somewhere.
Good luck!

Seems to me YOU Red X'd the wrong Post?
You Red X'd fellow forum member zyzzx called out SFSI and stated "Ignition Wires" as you said later

Im done with his thread/post
Dead horse, beaten again and again

Hit with 1760 Vac off the power line when I was 16. Somehow survived, but believe me I was laying in the ditch for 10 minutes before I was able to crawl across the lawn to sit on the porch for another half hour. Close one that was.

That explains WHY you like MOPARS then!
Uh:
1. Uber Rare
2. Not as Cheap and easy to build as Chevies....
3. Hard to find parts for
4. No reps good everyday Magazine articles unless you subscribe to MCG
5. etc
6. etc...
tee-hee-hee

:rofl:

That my friend is what Nickola Tesla demonstrated...
"It's NOT the Voltage, it's the Amps..."

Ouch Cranky!
Too funny!

Did your hair look like THIS ???

IMG_4408.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back