• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shorted needle electroluminescent?

Moparnocar

Local time
10:42 AM
Reaction score
Try to get gauge lights going. With the gauges not hooked up, I get 280v ac ( updated power pack)

When hooked up, voltage is 0. 12v supply good.
I unhokrd everything I can on the lights, then 3 needles glowed. The tach needle had a spark ( see vid). Is this short my problem? How to fix?

I know I can send them in, but hoping for a easy fix.

Well, noise stopped. Needle works. Fluke?

All light up now besides ammeter and needle for heat. Don't see any obvious prob

IMG_20220807_142935329.jpg

Well, I found the solder joint on the ALT loose, you touch the wire, and It moves. Can I just hit it w a soldering iron?

THAT is the coolest instrument cluster EVER!

Well, I found the solder joint on the ALT loose, you touch the wire, and It moves. Can I just hit it w a soldering iron?
You can get cold conductive glue. Probably safer

They're awesome! That's why I want it to work, looks amazing at night
That's also probably the most beautiful interior as well. Maybe some day I'll have one. For now I'm in love with the 69. Plenty to do.

Conductive glue or a quick solder depending on the connection.

If your short is at the base of the orange needle itself, it's not soldered connection ! The gauge needle has an insulating layer applied over metal needle, then the greenish EL coating is applied to the needle followed by the transparent orange paint over the top of the EL layer. The gauge needle is at an electrical GROUND potential. A common problem with the gauge needles is the insulating layer breaking down with the high voltage arcing over at the very base of the EL coating where the wire is wrapped to the needles EL layer causing a short.

If you think you are up to the challenge, it can be repaired. You need to carefully un-wrap the high voltage wire from the base of the needles EL coating layer, throughly scrape away the carbon residue around the base of the needle where the arcing was occurring. At the very BASE of the good EL coating, LIGHTLY scrape thru the orange paint 1/32" - 1/16" into the good EL layer. Using a tiny bit of 2 part epoxy, apply it to the SCRAPED off area. It should just extend to the good EL layer just below where the orange was scraped off. This will act as an insulating layer over the previously arced area. Once the epoxy fully sets up, cut back a tiny amount of the hi voltage wire to eliminate the defective arced over section of wire and tightly wrap a few turns of clean to the copper wire, into the very base of the greenish EL layer and apply a small dab of conductive paint to form the connection of the wrap of wire to the EL layer.
Conductive paint is available at auto parts stores. It is used to repair kits for rear window de-fooger strips. Good luck !

If your short is at the base of the orange needle itself, it's not soldered connection ! The gauge needle has an insulating layer applied over metal needle, then the greenish EL coating is applied to the needle followed by the transparent orange paint over the top of the EL layer. The gauge needle is at an electrical GROUND potential. A common problem with the gauge needles is the insulating layer breaking down with the high voltage arcing over at the very base of the EL coating where the wire is wrapped to the needles EL layer causing a short.

If you think you are up to the challenge, it can be repaired. You need to carefully un-wrap the high voltage wire from the base of the needles EL coating layer, throughly scrape away the carbon residue around the base of the needle where the arcing was occurring. At the very BASE of the good EL coating, LIGHTLY scrape thru the orange paint 1/32" - 1/16" into the good EL layer. Using a tiny bit of 2 part epoxy, apply it to the SCRAPED off area. It should just extend to the good EL layer just below where the orange was scraped off. This will act as an insulating layer over the previously arced area. Once the epoxy fully sets up, cut back a tiny amount of the hi voltage wire to eliminate the defective arced over section of wire and tightly wrap a few turns of clean to the copper wire, into the very base of the greenish EL layer and apply a small dab of conductive paint to form the connection of the wrap of wire to the EL layer.
Conductive paint is available at auto parts stores. It is used to repair kits for rear window de-fooger strips. Good luck !
Wow, thanks. It actually stopped doing it and worked, I might let it ride...

The only other bad spot is the solder joint to the ALT gauge, it's loose. Can I just touch it w a solder iron, or is it more complicated?

Wow, thanks. It actually stopped doing it and worked, I might let it ride...

The only other bad spot is the solder joint to the ALT gauge, it's loose. Can I just touch it w a solder iron, or is it more complicated?
If you are careful. I would put a little solder on a soldering iron, flux and then just touch the connection.

If you are careful. I would put a little solder on a soldering iron, flux and then just touch the connection.
Well, attempt #1 failed. I put a little pressure up on the wire, and it works. While doing this, I hit it with the solder gun. It's better, but not 100 percent. Any other tips? Keep trying?

You can pm me and I can walk you through the repairs. I own a business that specializes in the first gen cluster as well as many other things.

Auto Transport Service
Back