• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should Gas Tank Straps have continuity with tank? HELP!

1968rt

Local time
10:37 AM
Reaction score
Replaced gas tank and sender and now the gauge reads zero. I ran an extra ground wire from the sending unit to ground, but still nothing. The only thing I altered is that I put a thin rubber strip on the straps for noise purposes. Could this be the reason?

only the sender needs a ground how much fuel you have in the tank? the new sending units are terribly inaccurate.
If you still have the original sending unit i highly recommend you send it out to be rebuilt

Last edited:
Did you remember the little strap between the hard fuel line and the sending unit? Like Beekeeper stated, all the new reproduced senders are way out of whack.

New tank, new sender, new straps, new fuel line, new ground strap and an extra ground from unit to the chassis. Therss about 7-8 gallons in it now. Reads a hair above E.

New tank, new sender, new straps, new fuel line, new ground strap and an extra ground from unit to the chassis. Therss about 7-8 gallons in it now. Reads a hair above E.
that sounds exactly like the repop units probably read full with a full tank but will drop quick

I have a freakin 15 gallon tank in my 96 Dakota that drops like a rock shortly after filling it up but my 22 gallon 95 truck doesn't move for about 50 miles......both are stock stuff. I hate the 96 15 gallon tank!

I would bet all your wiring is ok then. I have had several do the same thing. And with a full tank they read around 1/4 on the gauge. Takes some time because of trial and error, but you can bend the tube and wire to get them reading quite a bit better than it is now.

You should always check the sender for function and accuracy before you install.
If you don't, you make yourself a lot of work to remove gas and drop tank enough to remove sender.

Meter Match is the only solution when it comes to the new sending units. It’s an electrical mismatch when using the new linear sending units with the old analog guage, and the Meter Match solves this problem.

the new sending units are terribly inaccurate.
As MoparLeo stated. Then hunt2elk. You can check the reo-stat to gauge at full,half,and empty.Adjust as necessary.
On some if you remove the cover they are adjustable.Re-pops may not be then bending the rod may help.
The distance will be slight depending on the depth of the tank.

And before you start bending the float arm, bend the whole pickup tube so the sock is touching or very close to the bottom of the tank. I have seen some that were a good 1/2" to high as delivered.

this:
Did you remember the little strap between the hard fuel line and the sending unit? Like Beekeeper stated, all the new reproduced senders are way out of whack.

There's a ground strap/clip that goes from the hard fuel line on the chassis to the tank that grounds the sending unit. This is needed because there's a piece of rubber fuel line between the 2 that won't carry the ground. Make sure this is in place

MF289.jpg

Physically ground the sender wire back at the tank with the key on. If all is good with the gauge, dash, and wiring, the gauge will go to full.

this:

There's a ground strap/clip that goes from the hard fuel line on the chassis to the tank that grounds the sending unit. This is needed because there's a piece of rubber fuel line between the 2 that won't carry the ground. Make sure this is in place

View attachment 1399960
He has already got that strap in place. The needle is moving so the circuit is completed.

Thats what I get for buying cheap crap. Any NOS ones around? 68 Charger

Thats what I get for buying cheap crap. Any NOS ones around? 68 Charger
You can have your original rebuilt if you still have it. That would be your best bet. It is going to be extremely hard to find a NOS part because the reproductions have been terrible for a long time. Originals were non linear and the new ones are all linear operating. Like I posted before, you can also bend things around to get your repop better.

I would bet all your wiring is ok then. I have had several do the same thing. And with a full tank they read around 1/4 on the gauge. Takes some time because of trial and error, but you can bend the tube and wire to get them reading quite a bit better than it is now.
I spent hours doing that on a C body repro sender. I finally got it accurate at both ends but it’s a lot of trial and error! Fill the tank, empty the tank, repeat, repeat…

You should always check the sender for function and accuracy before you install.
If you don't, you make yourself a lot of work to remove gas and drop tank enough to remove sender.

Good video from Capt. Longwind on how necessary it is to isolate an electrical issue. Time and money spent replacing parts would be better spent troubleshooting and pinpointing the problem. With a multimeter on resistance setting I found my inaccurate fuel level reading boiled down to the bad elbow connector at the sending unit.
Is this guy living in Ukraine? The night shot of him removing and metering the sending unit sounded like a war zone with the gunfire caught on mic.

Auto Transport Service
Back