• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I be more pissed at Jegs or FedEx?

RT6PK

Local time
5:05 AM
Reaction score
I ordered a Champion Radiator from Jegs. They sent me what was obviously a unit that someone else had returned. (Apparently, they don't put "scratch and dent" returns on a "scratch and dent shelf" like Summit Racing does. Obviously Jegs just sends damaged items out to the next guy who orders that item). Someone tried to polish the radiator. Half of the top tank was polished to a mirror like finish, the other half looked like it was cleaned with steel wool. There was polishing compound build up in the welds too. To top it off, the fins were all smashed in in a few spots. Customer support said to send it back no problem. However, they would not ship me a replacement until they received the old one back. Fast forward to me receiving the replacement. There were holes punched through both sides of the box from shipping and handling. As expected, the fins on both sides were smashed in. This time I asked Jegs to overnight me a new one on account of this being the SECOND damaged unit that I had received. No good, the item is out of stock until the end of May. So then, I proceeded to Fed Ex to ship this second one back. Fed Ex told me that they cannot accept the package because of the damage to the box. After I pointed out that they were the ones who damaged the box and that the item inside was already damaged on account of their inability to get it from there to here without f#cking it up, the woman said that she would tape the box up for me, "this time". She had to add in a smart *** tone that they will not take damaged boxes from me in the future. I responded that maybe Fex Ex should figure out how to handle packages without damaging them in the future. She just rolled her eyes....

Lesson learned: I am sticking with Summit Racing and UPS whenever possible as I have ALWAYS gotten excellent service from both.

I prefer Summit myself, however they use FedEx too....Typically for me Jeg's comes UPS and Summit comes by FedEx or OnTrac. Sorry for your troubles...In my experience FedEX is worlds better than UPS. What sucks is, as you said, most shippers won't take a box that's already damaged regardless of who did it, they'll want you to re-box it. You have to basically stop the driver at the door and refuse the shipment.

Yup summit every time for me. I ordered wilwood disc brakes for my car and they sent the wrong pads in the kit. Next day ups was at my house with the right pads and took the old ones off my hands.

That's always the chance we take buying our parts and having them shipped. We're at the mercy of others that can be pretty incompetent. All you can do is do as you've done and hope the next one is in good shape.

I just went through ordering an item and of course, when received it was the wrong one. The item code is right on the box!

Good luck with the next Radiator you receive. Maybe it will be dropped shipped right from Champion Radiator and have a better chance of making it in good order.

I ordered a set of ceramic RB headers from summit. I got them 2 days later, but when I opened the box there was a half-dollar sized ding in the very top of the rear primary on the passenger side header! I was very frustrated & there wasn't any damage on the box anywhere or evidence it had been mistreated on the inside. I called & spoke to a lady in customer service & she not only sent me a 2nd set, but had me hold my 1st set in case there was damage on the set she was sending. Once I recieved my 2nd set( which were perfect), I simply had to tape the 1st box up &set it on my porch. She even scheduled the pickup from UPS 5 days after my 2nd set arrived so I could verify everything was all good!
Super impressed with Summit, they made it right in every way possible, going out of they're way to make me happy...
I wont bother going to Jegs for anything I can't find through Summit or at a local Auto parts store.
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Hang in there, I'm sure they'll come through. Even Summit has trouble with stock items from time to time if those items ship direct from the manufacturer...
Good luck.

That's always the chance we take buying our parts and having them shipped. We're at the mercy of others that can be pretty incompetent. All you can do is do as you've done and hope the next one is in good shape.

I just went through ordering an item and of course, when received it was the wrong one. The item code is right on the box!

Good luck with the next Radiator you receive. Maybe it will be dropped shipped right from Champion Radiator and have a better chance of making it in good order.
Yep. I recently purchased a Summit-branded timing set, the GOOD one, and even though all labels and numbers were correct it didn't fit. The chain was just a little too short...sometimes the wrong part gets put in the right box with the right part number. Sucks, but it happens..

Have ordered fro Jegs a few times and Fedex has been OK but never on time. With Summit if it ships from the Reno store it is on time and never damaged. If it ships from Dallas it comes Fedex and is late all the time. I chec shipping status and it baffles me the routes Fedex takes. Like from texas to Portland to Nampa Idaho then to Eugene ?? Maybewhen it gets to Portland it smokes some weed and gets lost in the Ozone? Its Summit and UPS 99% of the time for Me.

I've been lucky with both Jegs and Summit. Courier doesn't seem to matter. Fed Ex however didn't like my dog. They had a point. She was old and a bit of a "B." When she passed and got a new yellow lab puppy? Her and the Fed Ex guy were friends. I don't see Fed Ex as much. USPS or UPS mostly. Again, I think the shipping industry does an amazing job? USPS is slower, but as expected cheaper. And have never received damaged goods. Or experienced lost items. From none of them.

I tend to buy things like radiators direct from the manufacture. I don’t trust the big box stores due to their return policies. Same thing with wheels. I wouldn’t think of ordering wheels from Jegs or Summit.

Should I be more pissed at Jegs or FedEx?

I've had pretty good luck with both parts suppliers, meaning Jegs and Summit. Unfortunately, they are really both at the mercy of some unscrupulous customers sometimes. Meaning, some folks would send back bricks in a good looking box for credit and resale if they could get away with it, so I feel your pain, and they both should really have a comprehensive system in place for checking items that are returned to them before resale. It would have been nice if Jegs sent you a replacement product, physically checked for problems, along with a call tag for return of your old one for sure, but it rarely happens that way.

As for the shipping company, if you took that back to the hub and got that kind of treatment, if I was in your shoes I would have been raising holy hell and insisting that you hear from the supervision in the place right then and there to ask if they all have that same attitude towards shipping, or if the clerk was the resident bitch. They have no clue whats in a box, and they should treat it as such, and they already know that some things are delicate without hearing it from you.

I will have to say, I had a problem with UPS recently (knock on wood first time), and when I called them out on it, they took care of it, plain and simple, by shipping the problem item back, on UPS's dime, since the problems were caused by their failing to follow the shipping instructions given to them.

I bought a a rad directly from wizard cooling. All my body panels I got from small 3rd part supplier. It costs a little more but the stuff isn’t destroyed.

Got new Rocket wheels from Jegs last week....shipped direct from manufacturer in Chattanooga, Tn. FedEx. Here in 2 days. Perfect boxes, perfect wheels. Maybe sometimes it's just the luck of the draw.

This is the Champion radiator I sent back to Jegs.
1/2 inch out out square.
15-8-crooked-alum-rad-watch-out-for-these-jpg.jpg

I'd be barking at Champion for putting out an inferior part. Jegs is just the seller, Fedex delivered it.

Agree, Jegs sent a new rad no questions asked.
Champion is at fault in my case.

Summit customer here. What could FedUp have to do with this?

Bought a new harness from jegs a month ago.I didn't get down to the garage till the thursday before the race weekend.Long story short,,,,,,the harness was too short.Turns out that Simpson has a 55 inch and a 62 inch.
It was my fault as I clicked the wrong box,,,,,,Jegs sent out another set and will credit my account when they get the wrong one back.They also sent me a shipping label paying for the return shipping.
I have no problem with either,,,,Fedex & UPS is a different story!Small parts I ship at the post office and large stuff goes to Fastenal:thumbsup:

A whole lot has to do with what part of the country you're in, of course.
UPS is one company and has union employees; FedEx typically is actually franchised,
so you may have a good franchise owner in your area or maybe not, just depends.
USPS, same thing - one company, but a lot of the local delivery chores are contracted
out (like here, where the route I'm on is actually on its' 2nd generation of the same
family delivery folks!).

As far as the radiator goes, Champion is not one of the high-dollar manufacturers.
All that means is that it's more likely that sometimes a bad one will escape their
plant, or that finish or fit isn't quite as gnats-*** perfect as say, one from Glen-Ray
or Griffin.
Packaging, same deal. My Griffin came so well made and packed for shipping the deliverer
would have damn near had to run over the thing to hurt it.

Summit or Jegs? I'm a Summit person all the way. I've bought stuff from them before that
turned out not to work as claimed or some such, and according to what it was, sometimes
they'd even tell me to not bother returning it, they'd credit me. Amazing.
I've always gotten great service from them, both in speed and when things went wrong.
No fusses, no making me wait until they got the old one back, none of that.

summit every time for me. I have never had anyone but the big brown truck deliver to me and I have never received damaged packaging. I got a scratched wheel one time and summit sent me out a new one the next day along with a prepaid shipping label to send the other one back. top notch, top shelf customer service. I absolutely refuse to so much as open up a jegs window to look at anything on their website.

Auto Transport Service
Back