• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I remove Air Conditioning?

Myasylum

Local time
12:23 PM
Reaction score
My 72 came stock with air conditioning, the compressor spins freely but no cold air. Could be something simple, but I haven't looked at it that closely.
Someone mentioned to me it works greatly reduce the value of the car, but it's not stock anyway.
Thoughts?

If you're not racing the car, why would you want to remove it? Most systems, if intact, are pretty simple to have fixed.

You live near Milwaukee, it does not get Hot and Humid there?
Just get it fixed!
OIP.acbXkhu1gQM1tMpWskcFvgHaFS.jpeg

AC in a Classic Mopar:

OIP.PBGKAHGPkXgvipEH0tL8ygHaFj.jpeg

I have spent a small fortune finding and replacing "items" a previous owner decided the car didn't need. If its original to the car, but doesn't work or you don't want to fix it, leave it alone. It costs you nothing to sit there. And the next owner down thru the years to come may just want to put it back, and being all there will save a ton....JMHO

Last edited:
Rip that **** out of there but keep it.

Christ, I barely decided to put a heater core back in my Runner and I live in Colorado. I put the core in only because pulling the heater box is a PITA.
Not plumbing it in because I like a clean engine compartment but if I want to make it work some day I can. I figure I will only be driving it in windows down conditions anyway.

Last edited:
To each, his own! To fix or remove or simply leave as is, is ultimately your decision. If it were me, I would repair it an enjoy! FWIW ruffcut

HI, The compressor outer wheel Well turn freely until you turn it on and the clutch locks in the compressor .. then it should get harder to turn.. The compressor outer wheel is free turning until it is turned on..
good luc
tim

Jump the wire (there's only one) to 12v while the car is running and see if it kicks in.

Finding the correct pulleys and brackets to remove the compressor can be a challenge.

DO NOT try to mix and match parts from different cars.

If you must remove it, get all the pulleys and brackets from the same car.

...also note that water pumps can be different between AC and non-AC cars.

...and this can affect the alignment of the belts on the pulleys.

Diagnose the condition before making any decisions. It could be as simple as insufficient refrigerant.

Someone mentioned to me it works greatly reduce the value of the car

Usually on classic auto insurance websites, adding AC is about a 5% INCREASE in value. Even dealer-added systems are cool (no pun intended).

I agree with runner 68.

Plus it’s hella manly to sweat your balls off in your mopar. At least that’s what I’ve told myself through out the years.

I agree with runner 68.

Plus it’s hella manly to sweat your balls off in your mopar. At least that’s what I’ve told myself through out the years.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

"Hella manly to sweat your balls off in your Mopar" I will use that, thanks Tang. Well said. Made my day.

Auto Transport Service
Back