• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I use this Keisler/Tremec trans

Power75

Local time
11:06 AM
Reaction score
I have a 69 Charger. Came with 318/auto and I am not concerned about changing that. I bought it 2 years ago as a dis-assembled project with lots of parts. Here's my question; I have a new Keisler/Tremec 5 speed and most of the parts to install it, including new lakewood scattershield, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, hydraulic clutch set up, shifter etc. I will need a driveshaft. I have read stories all over the map with these transmissions and since I have no experience with them I'm asking for thoughts good or bad. One of the things I'm not sure about is having read some models of these require cutting the torsion bar support ( I'm not doing that). This is also an early trans purchased 12/05 although has never been installed. Not sure if the trans built back then give trouble / won't shift etc. It is also the high hp model, paperwork says 650HP/650FT-LB. I have a stroker 440 that is my planned engine. Not built yet but should make 500+. I have experience with building motors having drag raced in my early days. Are these early Keislers problematic or not? I don't mind cutting the floor, do mind cutting anything else. thanks, Pat
Here's the trans in question

028.jpg 032.jpg

My 65 I got a Keisler kit around 2002. Other cutting a shifter hole,car was a 3 on the tree, I had to trim a ear/boss from the passenger side to clear the floor.
No other fitment problems.
My only complaint was it was hard to power shift and would grind going in gear when doing so if it would go in gear at all.
Non power shifts were fine at 6,000 rpm. That was my only complaint. I long hauled 2 Hot Rod Power Tours with 3.73 gears 451 B engine. Got 20 mpg as long as I kept my foot out of it. Removed it and went automatic and raced the car in NSS/E for 2 years.
P.S. I had the same in a 71 Duster with a 372 stroker.

If you are unwilling to modify the torsion bar support then I would look at other options. I had one around 2004-2005 and I hated it. Dropped the driveline angle so far that nothing fit anymore (pitman arm, headers, air cleaner touching firewall ect ect.....) I ended up with one of the passion performance 5 speeds that bolt right in but im assuming there is still a muti year wait for one of those.

Granted if you were to run stock exhaust manifolds then maybe the less than ideal driveline angle wouldn't be as much of an issue.

Build/delivery date? Early versions problematic 2-3 higher rpm and speedo cable and other leaks.

I have one in my 69 charger. Other than cutting a hole in the floor its an easy install. No problems and love it.

Most issues a lot of people had were self inflected. The torsion bar cross member does not need to be cut up. Shifting problems some had were alignment issues from not correctly dialing in the bell and setting up the clutch. Mine is behind a hemi 642HP and 650TQ. I bought mine in 2005.

Thank for the input everyone. So it sounds like I should bolt the setup together and mock it up to determine if driveshaft angle is a problem and any other clearance issues. I'm not terribly concerned about high rpm shifts as I don't expect to be running down the drag strip with it. just want dependable performance with minimal cutting to the car and the occasional blast up through the gears. Build date as I stated 2005, delivered 12/05

Thank for the input everyone. So it sounds like I should bolt the setup together and mock it up to determine if driveshaft angle is a problem and any other clearance issues. I'm not terribly concerned about high rpm shifts as I don't expect to be running down the drag strip with it. just want dependable performance with minimal cutting to the car and the occasional blast up through the gears. Build date as I stated 2005, delivered 12/05
1-Follow the instructions they gave you. Cut the hole large enough that the transmission can be raised off the mount with a simple spacer plate to help with angles if needed.

Got it, and fortunately the PO saved all the paperwork. Thanks.

Read THIS thread.

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopa...-5-speed-conversion-in-a-1970-charger.209725/

The arrow in this picture shows where the transmission is cut to clear the torsion bar crossmember.

5_LI.jpg

My swap was almost exactly a year ago. My transmission clears the torsion bar crossmember. Here is how mine was modified:

SST 15_LI.jpg

The red arrow in the picture above is the same area that was cut on yours. My kit did include this new crossmember though:

SST 2.jpeg

I have a cross member also, just have to dig it out and compare to yours. The trans looks the same to me, so was mine designed for the b body swap?

It looks that way.

If you plan to run it hard a call to liberty gears can get you some upgraded parts to put into it to help with the shifting.
Upgrade that shitty yoke that comes with them, I tore mine up with a mild 440. I had to put a mark Williams behind mine.

Got a message in to Liberty, thanks for the tip. Loved their pro-shifted gears 40 years ago in my A833 4 speed 10 second drag car. Yoke issue noted, thanks.

Mine built around 2000. Shafi Keisler eventually recognized the 2-3 issue but my TKO was too early a version to upgrade or fix. The trans crossmember was supplied by Keisler. It was stamped “India and twisted on first wot app. Windshield cracked too.
I gave the trans away after about putting 50k on it. Replaced it with an SST TKO. All is well. Moral: put the USCartool connectors in first.

“India and twisted on first wot app.
Yeah, I didn't even bother using that cross member in the kit. Can't remember if I had to do anything to my stock one.

Well the PO installed frame connectors 17+ years ago, so they are not the contoured style you mention. But they are there and all welded in so they will stay. As for the cross member I will have to see it again to make a decision on that later on. Thanks for the info. Pat

Well the PO installed frame connectors 17+ years ago, so they are not the contoured style you mention. But they are there and all welded in so they will stay. As for the cross member I will have to see it again to make a decision on that later on. Thanks for the info. Pat
You will not have issues. If someone can twist it and crack a windshield something isn't right. Shifting problems is in the bell alignment 90 percent of the time. Go to Silversport and download the instructions. I had do buy the .014 dowels from RobMc performance. Bell dialed in perfect. Follow the throw out bearing measuring. Mine was in specs. If these two steps are not done you have a high chance of problems. Mine shifts perfect and does everything I would want. You might consider a speedometer adapter that will use the Mopar cable. I can fix you up with sources for the adapter and gears.

Auto Transport Service
Back