Shoulder Belt Mount?

1971 - 1974 Mopars

1. Phantom440

Phantom440 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    4:22 AM
    Hi all, I hope you're doing well!
    '72 Coronet. Has the original shoulder belts that clip to the ceiling. On a four door like mine, the front shoulder belts mount back over the rear doors.
    I bought a set of XV 3-point belts, and I was wondering if it would be possible to cut out the original shoulder belt threaded insert that's so far back, and re-weld it just above the B-pillar like in a more modern 4-door B-body, and hang the XV belts from there.
    Has anyone done this?
    Do you recommend it?
    I just hate how far back the shoulder belt mounts, how it drags across my neck, and how it's not an inertia-reel so there's no give. It just hangs slack, or if it's tight, I can't reach the wiper or headlight switches.
    Thank you for any advice/opinions! :)

2. Nacho-RT74

Nacho-RT74 FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    11:22 AM
    I wouldn't cut the original one, but just weld a new provision into the new location around B pillar. Dunno if you are thinking on weld it into the roof frame itself like the original is or straight to the B pillar right below the roof headliner. Dunno if there is room there on a 4 doors B body B pillar ? My uncle made it into his 73 Dart straight to the B pillar, halfway between roof and seat height. That makes more comfortable with the shoulder belt not meeting the neck. Sure the sealbelt he installed is without the extra hanger strap for the shoulder.

3. 451Mopar

451Mopar Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    3:22 AM
    Have you looked at the Schroth AutoControl seat belts? the "AutoControl" version has an inertia reel and sensor.
    They are Y harnesses, so over both shoulders, and the part going to the back can be connected the the rear seatbelt anchors.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.