• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shoulder Belt Mount?

Phantom440

Local time
7:09 AM
Reaction score
Hi all, I hope you're doing well!
'72 Coronet. Has the original shoulder belts that clip to the ceiling. On a four door like mine, the front shoulder belts mount back over the rear doors.
I bought a set of XV 3-point belts, and I was wondering if it would be possible to cut out the original shoulder belt threaded insert that's so far back, and re-weld it just above the B-pillar like in a more modern 4-door B-body, and hang the XV belts from there.
Has anyone done this?
Do you recommend it?
I just hate how far back the shoulder belt mounts, how it drags across my neck, and how it's not an inertia-reel so there's no give. It just hangs slack, or if it's tight, I can't reach the wiper or headlight switches.
Thank you for any advice/opinions! :)

I wouldn't cut the original one, but just weld a new provision into the new location around B pillar. Dunno if you are thinking on weld it into the roof frame itself like the original is or straight to the B pillar right below the roof headliner. Dunno if there is room there on a 4 doors B body B pillar ? My uncle made it into his 73 Dart straight to the B pillar, halfway between roof and seat height. That makes more comfortable with the shoulder belt not meeting the neck. Sure the sealbelt he installed is without the extra hanger strap for the shoulder.

Have you looked at the Schroth AutoControl seat belts? the "AutoControl" version has an inertia reel and sensor.
They are Y harnesses, so over both shoulders, and the part going to the back can be connected the the rear seatbelt anchors.

Auto Transport Service
Back