• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Single exhaust, or dual?

I would do duals. It's already not the original factory exhaust. They are only original once. I put new duals on my 74 New Yorker with a 440 using walker turbo style mufflers. Nice and quiet, no droneat all. Can barely hear it running from inside.

I guess that's my point - I do want a new system. My debate isn't "new or not", my debate is "single or dual".
Then the debate is whether the cost/benefit ratio favors one or the other. Clearly, you don't NEED a dual system. (I would go duals, simply for the sound and appearance)
Edit: a charger needs two chrome tips, lol.

Last edited:
I know...but this car is an unrestored survivor and is NOT a "race car".

70 Charger 500, factory a/c, # match 318/2, bone stock. A904, bone stock. 2.74(?) rear gears in the open 8.25 rear. It's a cruiser. Original sheetmetal with near-original paint (one repaint, I think late 70s, presumably paint fade - FL car its whole life). Original interior. Original 14" wheels with full wheelcovers. Original vinyl top. ALL stock, except for some LED lights I put in the dash; HID H4 conversion headlights; and potentially a front disc brake conversion down the road.

Currently it has some cobbled-together, uneven, DRONING dual exhaust with flowmasters on it. Needs to go.

My debate? Accurate Exhaust single system like stock? Or one of their dual systems?

From what I can tell, this car would have had a single exhaust stock. I don't drive it for performance; I don't stoplight race it; I don't take it to the strip. I cruise. I like that it's original. And I think a single exhaust would be cool on it just because...it's right for this car.

Thoughts?

View attachment 1230042

With all these varying opinions, aren't you glad you asked?

:lol:

Very nice car but if you want to keep it original, I would lose the side molding! Thats not original, is it?

No...but it's stick-on and if I remove it, paint comes with it.

I hate it - it blocks one of the best body lines on the car - but I don't want to have to paint the car. Lesser of 2 evils..."period correct" (ugly) molding versus a repaint.

Did you try warming it up and carefully peeling it back?

As for the moorsickle exhaust it depends on the engine and the placement of the ex-over pipe.
Hardleys seem to like a small diameter pipe with a xover nearer the heads.
The size of the carbytooty matters, too.
On Moto Guzzls they like the xover back past the transmission and then the distance of the pipe into the mufflers can move the the power/torque up or down in the rpm. The big valve LeMans 1000 likes the xover up hear the heads.
On the small valve/carb 1000 there is a xover just behind the transmission but there are two styles. One has what looks like a muffler and the inlets turn to the other side and end inside the plenum. The other is just a plain H pipe. Removine the muffler looking one and replacing it with the H pipe makes a marked difference.
On the Hardleys mist people use straight pipes and then use pipes that are too big, killing the torque. Then a xover makes the pipes flow even better, making the torque worse. Then not rejetting or in the case if FI not adding fuel only makes the problem worse.
As for the Charger, if the exhaust is cobbled together junk it and install what YOU like.

Auto Transport Service
Back