• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Six Pack "Manual" Servo Choke

PurpleBeeper

Local time
7:24 AM
Reaction score
I'm piecing together a new motor & I have a set of Edelbrock aluminum heads with no heat crossover. I street drive this car and want the choke to work (fyi-my factory choke works fine with iron heads). The center six pack carbs don't have the right holes to install a manual choke (what I'd prefer). I have seen a post on this site where a guy built a "electric heat assist" choke by frankenstein combining a thermoquad choke, a six pack choke, and a home built choke resistor control (?) something...that's clever, but I'm not sure I could build one (?).

I've also considered seeing what I could do with a Chevy tri-power electric choke. Anyone have any ideas about that?

Another idea that I had was "maybe" using a RV car micro servo? (see pic below). Would there be a way to mount a servo on the six pack center carb (or intake) that could move the choke rod up/down like a RV car's steering might turn left/right? The choke rod is about the size of a coat hanger and it probably needs to move 1"-2" max & have reasonable strength to hold the choke closed vs the suction through the center carb. Ideally, I'd have a dial on the dash I could "dial in" how open/closed my choke is. I don't know anything about RV cars. Has anyone ever tried this? I think I saw a guy operating his air grabber hood with some type of electric servo (how I got the idea). What do you think?

1704241934163.png

Are you running a 440? I have a 6-pack on my small block stroker, Trick Flow heads, no crossover, the stock choke set up works just fine with out the crossover. Maybe work just fine on a big block? Worth a try, before messing around with all that other stuff. Do you have a cast iron or aluminum intake? Aluminum moves heat.

Last edited:
Are you running a 440? I have a 6-pack on my small block stroker, Trick Flow heads, no crossover, the stock choke set up works just fine with out the crossover. Maybe work just fine on a big block? Worth a try, before messing around with all that other stuff. Do you have a cast iron or aluminum intake? Aluminum moves heat.
Really?

Yes, a 440. I've read so much about choke issues without a heat crossover. My choke works fine too with iron intake & iron heads. I'm just a littler nervous about it working with aluminum heads (without cross over) & aluminum intake

Won't cost you anything to try it first, if it doesn't work out, you can always try something else.

I had the same concerns. I made a mount with cable linkage to go where the choke stove would mount and used a manual cable I found on ebay. Works great!

choke.jpg

choke2.jpg

I'd have to look at my spare center carb and misc parts to see if this would work, but my thought would be to use a Holley electric choke setup. Something like on a 390 4BBL. The one caveat I can think of is the vacuum port for the outboards. You might have to do something with that tube. If this proves to be a PITA then I like the idea of the OEM heater commonly found in late model divorced chokes. And here you go. Quick search found this https://www.carparts.com/details/Do...VkBGtBh02qwUVEAQYAyABEgK1JfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

One of my engines has the crossover blocked. Choke functions fine.

I'm piecing together a new motor & I have a set of Edelbrock aluminum heads with no heat crossover. I street drive this car and want the choke to work (fyi-my factory choke works fine with iron heads). The center six pack carbs don't have the right holes to install a manual choke (what I'd prefer). I have seen a post on this site where a guy built a "electric heat assist" choke by frankenstein combining a thermoquad choke, a six pack choke, and a home built choke resistor control (?) something...that's clever, but I'm not sure I could build one (?).
Frankenstein? Should I be offended? Pretty easy to do actually. The timers are easy to find now premade. I would disagree with those saying this original choke system works correctly without any manifold heat at all. The spring tension of the divorced choke vs engine temperature is specifically calibrated for having crossover heat present in the choke well.
Electric Choke for Six Pack
SixPackChoke.jpg

Last edited:
My choke works just fine, no crossover.

Auto Transport Service
Back