• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Slipping in Reverse- update!

Stumper

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:18 PM
Reaction score
Getting the 62 Fury out for the year but finding that my reverse is slipping so bad it won’t go up the incline in my driveway. Seems to move fine in forward gears - although I admittedly haven’t taken it out on the road. Fluid level is good, new fluid (ATF-4 plus some Lucas trans fluid). Original 62’ push button 727..
i had experienced the occasional clunking when backing up the incline last year but always seemed to below fluid related. Any thoughts before I drop the pan?

Anyone ever hear of adding a qt of lacquer thinner to the trans to clean up a sticky valve body???

Does it slip in Low? Rear band adjustment affects Low/Reverse.

Played with it a bit more this afternoon. Low gear and the forward gears in general seems to work fine but if anything reverse has worsened. Can’t get it to move even on a level surface. Almost as if it’s in neutral.
Still haven’t tried the lacquer thinner thing…..

If you're removing the vb for a rebuild/cleaning, adjust rear band, air check the rear servo for proper apply and verify linkage adjustment setting is correct.

How do you get lacquer out of trans and torque convertor? Remove VB and do as turbine68rt suggested. But as ever it's your car.

How do you get lacquer out of trans and torque convertor? Remove VB and do as turbine68rt suggested. But as ever it's your car.
Supposedly it evaporates… Obviously I’m not real keen on this idea. Was just checking to see if any other old time mechanics have done it ?

Dropped the pan today and don’t like what I see. Fluid is dark and full of flakes. Looks like metallic burgundy paint… a film of metal particles in the pan and some larger chunks… and this just after last summer on the fluid. Letting it drip tonight and I’ll look closer tomorrow but not promising…

Anyone care to guess what these metal pieces are from. They are about 1/4” wide.

IMG_1483.jpeg

It's bad! Wild guess hard to see overrunning clutch? What is that white puke.

Will they pick up with a magnet? Almost looks like friction material. Or seal material. Thin magnetic material could be overrun clutch springs. Has the trans ever been rebuilt? Time to pull it down and go through it.

How loose is the low/reverse servo apply?

It's bad! Wild guess hard to see overrunning clutch? What is that white puke.
That’s just light reflection In the pan. I adjusted the rear band. It did torque up but there were only a few threads left on the adjuster at torque spec. After seeing this crap in the pan and fluid she’s heading for a full rebuild.

Anyone ever hear of adding a qt of lacquer thinner to the trans to clean up a sticky valve body???
Don't do that lol. The thinner will probably loosen the friction material from the plates and bands. As for reverse, it could be that the seal on the reverse band servo finallyblew out or the band gave up. The direct/reverse clutch can cause no reverse too. If you can't get it on the road to drive it then you'll just have to drop the pan and see what's going on.

Help me understand what’s going on. As per previous I had lost reverse but still had forward gears including low manual. I drained the nasty looking fluid that showed considerable metal particles in it - and the few larger pieces that appear non metallic. The other day I adjusted the rear band which did seem loose. When adjusted to spec and the lock nut tightened there is about 3 threads showing on the adjuster bolt. Today I buttoned it back up and refilled with some new, cheap mercon fluid and lo and behold, reverse is back as good as ever. Took it out for a short drive and all gears seem to function just fine, including reverse….
i know from the looks of the fluid and debris in it that something is still wrong and the trans needs a rebuild but I’m inclined now to see if I can salvage the season before a rebuild? What do you transmission guys think?

Auto Transport Service
Back